Sunday, March 12, 2017

Back to school 2016

Just six weeks off for summer and then it was back to school!  Yes, the summer was short, but I LOVE the longer breaks when the weather is nice.  It's a great schedule.  


This year Brynn had Mrs. Goettl for 4th grade and Bryce had Mrs. Henderson for 2nd grade.


We were worried about the schedule - it's the first time they have ever gone full day.  There were pluses and minuses, but I do think it was perfect for this year and I'm glad I got the chance to try it.





Seminary coming along...


Just like last year, Bryce lost a tooth on the first or second day of school.  Funny kid!  I was completely and totally wrapped around his little finger while he was missing those two front teeth.  The smile, the lisp, the sweetest age and best big brother. Love that Boo.


Forgot this one from whenever I posted the Olympics.


Some UT friends came down to AZ for the BYU game and Marty and Bryce had a blast with them.



HA! Marty lost a bet to Kelly so he had to wear this tie to work when BYU lost to the Utes.









The seminary is still coming along...


Marty built a bike rack.  It's been nice because this year more than any other the kids have lived on their bikes.










A date with Bryce.  I tried really hard to get good dates with the kids after Clara was born.  It seems to me that it really would be hard to watch Mom love on this cute, perfect thing that is so very time-consuming.  I don't want to embarrass Bryce later so I will leave out the details - but MAN he is a sweet date!


The third official Johnson Family Olympics (coinciding with the Summer Olympics).






Emily Johnson is not impressed.




This was hanging outside Brynn's classroom and I just liked it.
Mmm...
Going...
Gone.  I think she loved the cradle more than any of my babies.

One of my new favorite books, "A House of Many Rooms." It's a quirky book from the sixties, a memoir of a Mormon girl growing up around the turn of the century in Heber, UT.  As soon as I was finished I read it to the kids and every night they would beg for more.  It was such a good one for us and I think I will read it with the kids every few years.

I probably would not have approved this "book village" but once I discovered it, I had to take a picture.


Rice cereal.  Look at that chunky baby!  She didn't love it, but it wasn't torture.








Unfortunately, she was allergic to the rice cereal, which is rare and weird.  I tried everything I could think of to keep it down, but every time I gave it to her she would projectile vomit.  Eventually she started having blood in her diapers and when I took her to the pediatrician he came to the same conclusion.  She was much happier when I stopped that and started veggies a month or two later.

We went to Fogo De Chao for Marty's birthday because we found out that they were having a kids-eat-free deal on Labor Day.  That was HUGE for us because as much as we want to let the kids experience an amazing Brazilian churrascaria, it's not really affordable for just the two of us let alone adding on five kids.  It was such a fun and great experience and the kids were on their best behavior.





First day of preschool!  I agonized over the decision to put Gabe and Millie in together.  Partly because I wanted to give Gabe the experience of going off on his own like the other kids got, partly because of the expense, but mostly because I have never had any desire to send my three year olds off to school any earlier than I needed to.  But this year, it was kind of a "need-to." Camille was still struggling with primary and baby-sitters but she's ok if she's with Gabe.  I thought it would be good to send them together and ease her into it.  And Camille, the "cracker-fire," just needed more than I felt like I could give her at the time.  It has been the best-decision ever.  It has been SUCH a great year, they love going to preschool together, and it helped post-partum Mommy keep her head above water.  Amazingly, they have never missed a single day of preschool and I have just taken that as a tender mercy and a reassurance that this was a good thing for us to do.





A "Y" in Brynn's hair.  These kids love to support Daddy.

Post-breakfast smile.

It's gotten hard to get to the library lately.  There is so little time for that kind of thing on this school schedule.

One night we went to the Food Trucks to support BandB's school.  They met up with a couple of friends there and it was a really fun night.




MCO sang at the Constitution Fair.  I have great memories at the constitution fairs we have been to, but this one was hard and a little haunting.  Long story short, we all had a front row seat to the paratroopers landing and immediately begin praying on the ground while we all saw the plane, already covered in flames, crash. Before the concert there was a moment of silence and prayer and we found out that the pilot was rushed to the hospital and was going to pull through.  Bryce was pretty upset by it.








Five months old.



The computer is another place Camille struggles to wait for me.  Bills must be paid, Sweety!  I wonder why I stopped blogging for awhile?

Reading the Johnsons' old Illustrated Book of Mormon series that Grandma Georgia used to read.





I told Brynn I was feeling too overwhelmed to deal with "crazy hair-day" so she took matters into her own hands.
Bryce followed suit.

This was a spirit day to dress from another decade so Brynn used the poodle skirt.  Then at school that day she somehow obtained these nerd glasses and came home looking too cute for words.


Makutu's Island, a favorite on the POGO.


What? What!?

I never get bored of seeing road runners in AZ, but we don't usually see them in our yard!



This is usually what happens at park day when big kids (on break) come along.


Stuck!

Thanks, Littles....

You always have to stay close by and on duty!

Oh my goodness, this is one of my favorite memories of Clara as a baby.  I feel like I've been very sensible with all the baby "stuff," trying to "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."  When I bought stuff (if it wasn't a hand-down) then I would get stuff that would work for either gender.  And almost all of our baby stuff has lasted for all five!  But the exersaucer bit the dust after Camille and I felt totally justified in getting a pretty, pink, cutsie, brand new one!


The kids were soooo cute.  They went to the store with me to pick it out and after we got it home they all helped with the assembly.  They were so excited for their baby sister to have it and she totally delivered.  She loved it!  Our favorite part was that she loved the cake toy more than anything, which we all thought was appropriate since she is nick-named "Clara Cake."


No comments: