Sunday, July 27, 2014

The sad day finally came

For a very long time now I have been putting something off.  But I cringe every time I hear something like, "Bryce don't look, I'm going to change."  So, it was a sad, but also exciting day in the Johnson home.  We rearranged bedrooms and separated Brynn and Bryce.

When we first put them together, it was all just so volitile.  Bryce was two, that agonizing and difficult two, and Brynn was four-going-on-sixteen.  Very often we couldn't handle the erruptions (some form of Bryce being crazy and Brynn crying over it) and we would give up and send her to the guest bedroom for the night.  Then Bryce would be inconsolable and lonely and would beg Brynn for forgiveness.  Then sometimes she'd go back to their room and sometimes she'd refuse.  At the time, it felt like that phase was going to last for  forever, but it didn't.  At some point we realized it was the best thing we ever did for their relationship.  Brynn has just never needed as much sleep as a lot of kids need, I think.  And Bryce would nap in the afternoon.  So when it was time for bed, they would stay up, sometimes for hours, and play or talk, or sing, or sneak out, or sometimes fight. 

Recently, I stood by their door long after they should have been asleep and listened to Brynn help Bryce with his reading.  They were patient with each other.  After Bryce finished the book, Brynn praised him.  I got emotional on the other side of the door, picturing them snuggled up together.  They have become absolute best friends, joined at the hip, and I think it all started with all those hours they spent together in that room, learning to work things out and live with each other. 

Anyway, now and forever more we will have a girls room and a boys room.  I was really worried about it because Bryce and Gabe have been at each other's throats, because Camille is still such a baby,  and just because of the very rocky start BandB had when they first moved in together.  Everything I was worried about has happened, but to a slightly lesser extent than I was expecting.  Brynn can still read with her little book light as long as she wants and for the most part, it doesn't keep Camille up.  There have been a few times Camille has cried at night waking Brynn up, but Brynn has just gone to the guest bedroom and fallen back to sleep.  Some nights I think I won't be able to handle any more tears, so I'll just send Brynn to the guest bedroom to start off with.  But the girls are slowly getting more used to each other.  It will be interesting to see what it's like during the school year when there is more at stake in getting Brynn to bed and up in the morning at a pretty early hour.  As for Gabe and Bryce, they are also learning to live together.  Often after I shut their door for the night I hear Gabe asking Bryce if they can snuggle.  There have really only been a few nights though where they couldn't handle each other and I've had to intervene.  Their room has been less explosive than I expected it to be.  But somewhat explosive....

A couple weeks ago we had a rough night and each older kid ended up having to leave their room. I told them to just lay in my bed for a few minutes. I overheard this:
Bryce:  Brynn, I miss sleeping with you.
Brynn:  Bryce, I was thinking the same thing!!  Camille can't talk to me or play with me!
Bryce:  Yeah, Gabe doesn't talk to me and I feel lonely.
Brynn:  I'm lonely, too!

Later that night I found them snuggled up together and fast asleep on my bed.  I can't imagine them losing the close bond that they have, just because they've changed rooms.  But I still worry about it.  So far, no sign of that.  Now hopefully they can form a relationship just that close with their younger siblings, too (with a little less drama in the process)....



Awe, poor Millie thought it was time for a nap.


As you can see, I am not one for decorating.  It just doesn't seem to be in my DNA.  But I can create a comfortable space for my kids.  One where they can learn how to pick up after themselves, learn how to read, feel the Spirit, spend their quiet time, gaze at pictures of Jesus and the temple, and bond.  That should count for something, right?

No comments: