Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Potty-training the trainable child

I often use the word "trainable" to describe Gabe.  He rarely has issues adjusting to something.  Sometimes he is naughty and disobedient, but most of the time if I lay down the law about something, he understands and is super cooperative.  He never had real issues with transitions like switching to a sippy or switching to a big boy bed.  If I tell him, "This is where your shoes go now," or "after I take your diaper off it is your job to throw it away," or "your clothes should always go in that basket over there," he is pretty darn accommodating.   Because of that, I really thought Gabe would be a dream to potty-train.  But of course I couldn't say that out loud, lest kid kharma should come after me.  So then I started preparing myself for the worst.

And the results?

He was a total dream to potty-train, easiest kid so far!  Completely done in three days.  Dry through the night and naps, number two hasn't been an issue, I can take him anywhere and he'll use any toilet, we only had to use the toddler potty (which I hate) for a couple weeks before he decided 'the heck with it.' It's been almost two months now, and I don't think he's had a single accident since those first few days.  Sometimes he wants me to go with him, but often I just hear a flush and the water running and I smile about his little independent personality.

Hey, Gabe.  Did I ever tell you that you are totally my favorite child?


Haha, everyone.  Don't worry, my family knows my humor.

No comments: