Monday, September 9, 2013

Camille's first week




Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing like it.


In the hospital with my mom and her very quiet and calming way she has with babies (and new tired mommies).




As I've said before, the kids coming to see their new sibling is pretty much my favorite mommy experience.  This time had it's ups and downs!  Brynn and Bryce were exactly what I expected - thrilled to meet their new sister and antsy to hold/touch/cuddle, and give her their present they picked out for her.
I really didn't know what to expect from Gabe.  Sadly, what I got was the cold shoulder!!  I missed that baby boy so much and was so excited to give him a big hug.  Marty carried him in and I reached my hands out to him and he scowled at me and hit my hands away and wouldn't come to me!  I was so sad and upset.  He also wasn't terribly interested in the baby, but he did warm up to both of us eventually.
And here's Bryce, our kid who is the most natural with babies.  He dove right in taking care of her.



AGH!  He's got him in a choke-hold!  Ha ha, just kidding, I promise it really was just a cute hug. :)
Having the kids at the hospital was really fun - and really CHAOTIC!  And kinda funny, actually.  I hope it's ok to say that it's kind of a confidence booster, knowing all I manage to do with the kids each day and all the details I have to take care of.  Marty came in carrying both of the boys because neither of them had shoes!  Brynn was wearing her ballet slippers, which apparently she had worn all day at school (she was dancing before school and just forgot to switch shoes, I guess).  They hadn't eaten yet and came in with a big box of chicken nuggets from McDonalds which Gabe was clumsy with but also protective of.  But it really was so sweet.  Everyone was just so excited and I was happy to see them again.

Ok, the boys might not look too excited, but I promise they were. :)  If Bryce doesn't want to smile for a picture, ain't nobody gonna make him!


"Uh-oh, her feet feel cold."
"There, that's better."

"Camille, I'm your big brother!  I will always take care of you."


At the hospital, there is a really beautiful courtyard just for the maternity section of the hospital.  It plays soothing wood-wind music and has a little play-area in one section.  Of course you have to leave the baby in the bassinet when you walk around outside of your room.  It was pretty warm this day, but we had a nice time out there taking pictures.  This is the day we brought our baby girl home.  We were in a bit of a rush because Brynn had her graduation pictures to get to.





I'm sure Brynn put the flower in her hair.  That has Brynn written all over it.

This is the first time I spent the full 48 hours in the hospital.  My dr. requested it because of all the illness that had been going around our infected home the last two weeks and I really think I needed it to recover from everything.  With the first two babies I just wanted to get back to my own home for some rest since there seems to be people coming in and out every half hour at the hospital.  But the more kids I get the more I realize interruptions in sleep every half hour at the hospital is an improvement over what I deal with from the little ones at home!

And...we're home!!!  Welcome home, Camille May!  I promise to you that I will be the absolute best mother I can be, I will put every ounce of energy I have into this calling, and you will never have to wonder if you are loved.  (But in the spirit of full disclosure - I'll probably make LOTS of mistakes!)










My mom has given every one of my newborns their first bath.  I am so lucky to have always had her.


She really has just fit right in with the family.  The couple months after she was born were NUTS.  But it was more just due to Marty having crazy, busy stuff coming up for him, putting our house on the market (my advice is to NOT do that the week after you have a baby), Brynn getting out of school and just all of us being at home together.  But I suppose I am used to chaos at this point, and what's one more kid, right? ;)



And here are the other four in our family headed to church.
I love having the time home from church in a quiet house with just me and my newborn.  The Sunday after this one was Mother's Day and Marty sent me a text from church saying something like, "I am never ever ever ever taking the kids by myself again!"  Then I started to panic but he called me and told me all the funny stories about our...ahem, active children during Sacrament meeting and we just got a big laugh out of it.  I am so grateful I've got a husband who is so confident and natural as a dad.  I cringe when I hear husbands talk about "baby-sitting" their own children.  Marty and I are a team, and when we have a new baby he knows we all need him to step up to the plate with the other kids, and he does so.  He is amazing and I am so grateful to have him.




Another bath. :)



Was this a sneeze or a cry?  I can't remember now...
















After taking these pictures, we packed up and took my mom to the airport.  I may or may not have cried on the way home.  I always hate to send my mom off knowing that the next time she holds my baby, it will no longer be a newborn.

No comments: