Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My constant Buddy



Bryce has been in such a good phase for such a long time.  He is still intense and requires lots of patience with his stubborn, only-if-I-came-up-with-the-idea attitude.  But he is unique to me for the contradiction that he his.  He is such an energetic tornado, but so so gentle - we've never had issues with him hitting or breaking stuff or anything.  He is so stubborn, but really quite obedient.  He uses his loudest voice to make sure you've heard his 10 minute story about his car, but never yells in anger.  It's almost like he's got this impressive self-control over his body at age three.  He loves to be tickled, but he has this incredible will-power to decide to "turn off the tickles" and there is nothing Marty or I can do to get him to crack a smile.

The last couple of days though, he has given me a run for my money.  It's such a sudden behavior shift, that I feel like I should be able to pin-point exactly what's going on and what he needs, but I can't.  He is suddenly whining CONSTANTLY, crying - even more easily than normal, bullying Brynn, saying "but..." to EVERYTHING I ask him to do, and refuses to just play in the loft or go outside.  He just spends the time we normally play whining about wanting to watch a movie.  Like I said, it's been just a sudden change the last few days.  My thoughts are:

  • Maybe he's upset that Brynn is going back to school
  • Maybe he got spoiled over Spring Break (not many chores, lots of mommy time and TV)
  • Maybe he needs a little more love and personal attention from me (if any of our kids gets lost in the shuffle, it's probably Bryce)
  • Maybe he needs the opposite; more discipline and consequences (I can NOT go soft on him, if I give him an inch he takes a mile)
     
  • Maybe he needs more sleep (although I haven't really noticed a change in his sleeping habits)
  • Maybe he is missing Daddy lately, who is just so so busy right now
  • Maybe he senses he can wear me down when I'm alone (I sure hope not)
  • Maybe his bad attitude is a reflection of my own.  I have been tired, sore, worn-out, unable to keep up with my house and life in general even though I'm trying really hard, and that makes me feel like a failure.  I can tell I am losing my cool more easily with my kids, and when Mama's fussy, everyone is fussy. 
I feel like I should be able to look at this list and be his mom and just know what is going on inside that adorable and frustrated little body, but I can't get a handle on it.  Sigh.  I love you, Buddy.  What's the matter?

No comments: