Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gaber-Smacks, 15 months

 
 
 
I love love love love love this baby.  He is like a freebie baby.  He sleeps like a champ, hardly ever cries, snuggles all the time, is calm, and he isn't as "into things" as I know some babies are.  He is, however, VERY naughty at church, likes to surprise you by sneaking up and digging his fingernails into your legs when you are wearing shorts (by our reactions, I can see how this would be a fun game for a baby) and he makes me worry slightly by being on SUCH a different timeline as the other kids. 
 
I mentioned him not walking, but actually at one week shy of 16 months, he is FINALLY there.  I know I shouldn't complain because I suppose it's nice to not have to chase after him THIS pregnant, but there are times that I REALLY need to just set him down in a parking lot or park or somewhere and have him walk beside me.  He is walking more than he is crawling right now, but he is still very cautious about it.   
 
He also doesn't talk.  In fact, Marty and I think it's almost like he has regressed.  Months ago he used to say Mama, Dada, Amen, and hi, and now he only says Mama, and Dada.  I have been reading books and making animals sounds with him literally at least three times a day (each time he goes to sleep, but usually more because he is always bringing me books) for months now, but so far he just growls for every single animal.  This week I thought we had a break through because he started saying "neigh" on a farm page.  But now every animal is neigh instead of a growl and I don't know if that's even a step in the right direction?  His pediatrician is very laid-back about the whole thing and has tried to calm my nerves, but I can't help thinking about how Brynn and Bryce were putting together sentences at this point. 
 
The biggest thing that makes me feel better is how well we seem to understand each other and still communicate.  For the first time, I finally taught my baby sign language.  I always saw signing with babies as pointless because my first two could just tell me what they wanted.  But at 13 months when he still wasn't talking I decided I was not cool with the whole "point and scream" method of communication.  He picked up on the signs so quickly and now I see why I had so many friends raving about it!  He'll sign when he is hungry, wants more or is all done, milk, when he wants a diaper change, when he wants to read a book, when he wants to go outside, among other things.  I can tell him to do so many things, wondering if he'll even understand what I said, and then he'll surprise me and do just what I asked him to (like, "Gabe, throw your wrapper away and shut the lid.").  Yesterday while I was getting ready, he started tidying my bathroom for me!  He put bath toys in the tub, garbage in the garbage can, clothes in the laundry basket, etc.  When he does stuff like that I know he observes and understands, he's just not saying it.   

 
His favorite things right now are throwing balls, playing outside, and reading.  He reminds me of Brynn as a baby.  He can't get enough of books and seems to love them more every day, which is a huge blessing to me right now.  Considering how uncomfortable I am, I love having an excuse to sit down with him!
 
We have thought a little bit about getting him in a toddler bed and giving the crib to the new baby, but I just don't think he's quite ready.  I know it will be hard on him to give up being the baby, but I also really think he'll be ok. 
 
Basically, this little Sweety-Gabe just MELTS us!  This baby was no exception to the fact that babies are a LOT OF WORK and a LOT OF ENERGY.  Having three little ones at home takes often takes it's toll on my sanity and my body.  But having said that, I am amazed at the smoothness of the transition it has been bringing him into our family.  We never experience jealousy from the other kids, but the opposite.  They STILL scream "Gabe's walking!" whenever he takes a step (and he has been taking steps here and there for a long time).  And they still fight over who gets to go in and get him after his nap.  They still maul and snuggle him.  I keep waiting for them to have a "that dang baby" experience after he breaks their toys or something, but they are still endlessly patient with him.  I hope they treat our new baby the exact same way they have treated Gabe.  Now how Gabe will treat the baby, that's the question....

No comments: