Friday, March 15, 2013

Feb & March

In February, we went up for my Grandma Peterson's funeral.  It's been a rough year for the Oldhams, especially my parents.  I knew I was really lucky to be 27 years old and still have all four of my grandparents, but now I've lost three of them in just over a year.  I'm so grateful for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, and I know that they are all happy.  I will still miss them, though.  I always knew there were four people on the earth who thought I was special and wonderful and loved me no matter.  Yes, yes, the rest of my family loves me too, but there is something different about Grandparent Love. 
 
We got the Oldham kids band back together and my brothers accompanied me singing "Somewhere, My Love," (Grandma's favorite) at the funeral.  And Brynn sang the first verse of "I Often Go Walking," and my mom and I joined her on the second verse.  I thought it was a fitting tribute to her love of flowers (she knew everything about them and had the most beautiful flower gardens).  Especially the last line, "For if I love flowers and meadows and walking, I learned how to love them, Dear Mother, from you."  We talked about this a lot with Brynn and it really made an impression.  We re-landscaped our yard this week and at the Nursery when we were picking out plants, all Brynn really wanted were flowers.  Of course, here in AZ we are "responsible" and pick the most low-water plants (read: ugly shrubbery), but I did the best I could for her.  And everywhere we go she'll spot something flowery and say, "Oh, Great-Grandma would love that!"  Or, "That makes me think of Great-Grandma!" 
 
So here we all are, back in Boulder almost exactly a year after leaving Grandpa here.  My Grandpa used to say, "When God created the world, he started in Boulder."  I do feel better about leaving them in a place that is that beautiful and that is so near and dear to our souls.
 
All the Petersons
 
 
 

Flora Peterson

Flora Peterson
Flora May Robison Peterson, beloved wife, mother, great-grandma, grandma, sister, aunt and friend passed away peacefully with her family by her side February 7, 2013 in Spanish Fork, Utah.
Flora was born November 22, 1928 in Fillmore, UT to William Adelbert and Myrtle Utley Robison, the youngest of eight children. Her childhood was spent in Sevier County. She married Bert Darwin Peterson on July 5, 1949 in Salt Lake City. The marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple. Dar passed away one year ago, February 24, 2012.
Flora was a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and she held many callings throughout her 50 years in the Salt Lake Pioneer Stake. Her favorite calling was working with the children in Primary. Flora enjoyed camping, baking, and spending time with family and friends. She loved caring for flowers and could name countless varieties.
She is survived by her children Debra Oldham (Allan); Rod (Linda); Michelle Sparks (David); grandchildren Corey, Justin (Helen), Emily (Marty), Dylan, Damon, Carter, Mikayle, Nicholas, Madison, Gabrielle; great-grandchildren Brynn, Bryce, Gabe; brother-in-law Garth Peterson (Lois).
Funeral Services will be held Saturday, February 16 at 11:00a.m. in Spanish Fork at the Aspen Meadows LDS Chapel, 1661 S. 1400 E. Friends may call Saturday morning at 9:30a.m. Interment will be in Boulder Town Cemetery.
Her family extends its deepest gratitude for the loving care given by everyone at Hearthstone Manor, where Dar and Flora lived together and exemplified a tender, enduring companionship. Thanks also to Alpha Home Health and Hospice, especially Cassidy Berge and Marleen Oaks.
 
I wish we could stop meeting together for such sad occasions, but I'm at least happy to be meeting at all!  It's so hard to get the Alaskans out here and I feel so lucky we've seen so much of them lately.  We were in Utah during Valentine's Day and Brynn was broken-hearted about missing her class Valentine party.  But all the family was very cute and we exchanged Valentine's with each other that morning and the Alaskans took Brynn and Bryce on a surprise date: 
 
Ice Skating!!!

Brynn's dream come true.
The walkers they let the kids use were so helpful!  We have taken the kids one other time and it was hard.  Marty had to take just one kid at a time out on the ice and I think the next day was pretty stiff after bending over each one the whole time.








Sitting in the "hockey box."  (Don't laugh at me, I know next to nothing about hockey). 



Yep.  Bryce in his undies jamming on his ukulele with Justin.  Something about that really warms my heart. :)


We had actually just been in Utah a few weeks earlier at Christmas time and the kids were so disappointed that the snow just wasn't right for making snow men.  I told Brynn this time around to go out and try it and I'd be out in a few minutes.  I was so proud of her!  She worked HARD and rolled enough snow for the whole snow man.  Justin helped her stack and decorate, of course. :)



Snowball fights...




No comments: