Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What we've been up to

A couple weeks ago my mom came out for a few days. Ever since then our guest bedroom has been this hallowed place, and everything in it is, "Grandma's bed" and "Grandma's window," etc. These two miss each other.




Our garden has grown almost as much as the kids have. Here is one of our broccoli plants.




We pulled it up and ate it a couple nights ago. It was way better the broccoli from the grocery store! Amazing that we are excited for the next bunch! It's also been really fun to just go outside and pick a salad for dinner. We had 4 different types of lettuce growing. But one of them we didn't use because it tasted like Wasabi.











Marty is lovin' life at Queen Creek Seminary. And so is Brynn! We love going to the different school events that are now so close. This particular clip was taken at a girl's basketball game:


"GO QUEEN CREEK, GO QUEEN CREEK!"




There may still be a chance of bringing out a "rough and tumble" side of her. On the one hand, she's got a little brother who will literally wrestle her to the ground for a bite of her apple and a sports-loving Daddy who will play with her all day long and take her to as many games as she wants. On the other hand, she is terrified of the Bulldog mascot at those games, and I don't know if you noticed this, but in the previous picture she's outside gardening in her Cinderella dress. Oh, also on the other hand...





...I'm her Mom!!!



Thursday night we were BOTH bored to tears. Thursday is a long night for me sometimes because Marty doesn't get home until 10:00 or so. But I actually usually have a lot of fun. I try to take care of all major cleaning or other things on Wednesday, so that on Thursday it's easier to just have fun with the kids and to make sure I don't think of them as an obstacle (that word sounds a lot worse written out then it does in my head). Brynn eventually asked for a tea party, which is inevitable when she is bored. And I thought to myself, "Ugh, another tea party?" Which made me sad, because that's always been our favorite thing to do together. So to refresh our little tea party tradition, I upped the stakes and brought out....



My very Official "Fancy Schmancy" box! She's never seen any of my old dress stuff before and had some pretty awesome reactions. She picked both of our princess dresses, got out the glass slippers (truly), the gaudy jewelry, the wraps, the works!


*Bling Bling*

We made sure Bryce got some yummy treats at the tea party too,
And I tried to make sure he didn't get too bored. This night was Brynn's first attempt at using a camera. I think she did pretty good!

The last thing we usually do on Thursday is check out a movie from the Library and have a movie night. Usually movie night Thursday is a good chance for me to clean up the destruction left from our "fun" day. But last Thursday these kids were just so enjoyable I couldn't pull myself away from them!


Not Friday, though! On Friday we were ALL ready for some space. By the time Friday afternoon rolls around, the kids start to get sick of me and realize that they haven't seen their Dad in a couple days and they MISS HIM! Since last Friday they seemed to be especially whiny for him, so we took a trip out to downtown Mesa. I had some music to pick up and I miss Mesa. We had tons of fun looking at all the sculptures, which Brynn loved but was generally afraid of. It took me about four different tries to get a picture of her sitting this close to the polar bear.

We strolled around the Mesa Arts Center,
And of course we split a 5 Layer Brownie. I love that little guy popping up to say hello!
Bryce got this toy for Christmas from Grandma and Grandpa. He FINALLY figured out that what makes it fun is to push something around in it. Like, pushing Sister into a wall.

And that's what the Johnson's have been up to!

3 comments:

Helen said...

I know I've been saying it for 3 plus years but my gosh her hair is so much like Justin's. When she is big he can regale her with the benefits of leave-in conditioner etc (my curly haired friend Katie recently made him a convert to moisturized hair). The kids look beautiful and we miss you a lot. A lot a lot.

Jana said...

You are such a cute mom.
And Bryce looks exactly like Marty.

AmbertheGreat said...

love the update, thanks for the info - I am so jealous of your garden and veggie's