Sunday, April 6, 2008

She's getting there...I think....

This is just to update any of you that I have commiserated with recently about my sick baby. On Wednesday I went to get Brynn out of her crib and at some point during the night she had thrown up all over in it. That day I lost track of how many times I was thrown up on. Thursday we thought she was doing a lot better, but when I was at round table (for cub scouts) I got a call from my frantic husband saying that her temperature was 105. So I ran out of there as fast as I could and we took her to the doctor, where she received an antibiotic shot (and of course I waited out in the car - I am much more help to her that way, trust me). Saturday it was all coming out the other end, or I should say exploding out the other end. I mean, all the way up her back and over half of the floor - she really got some distance (wow, if I don't stop mentioning my baby's poop, no one is ever going to read this blog again!), but at least she wasn't so feverish. This morning I expected her to be pretty much recovered, but it was back to throwing up. But this morning (dramatic sigh) my spirit was crushed (sigh), so I saved all of her worst messes for daddy, who somehow managed impeccable timing at getting out of most of them.

Is this crazy?...

As horrible as that all was, some of it was sweet, too. I never would have imagined how completely proud of myself I could be for something like not wanting to throw up after being thrown up on. I would hold her until the next time she vomited, then we'd hug a minute until she recovered from the traumatic event, then we'd go upstairs and get cleaned up, I'd throw in yet another batch of laundry, then we'd rock together bracing ourselves for next time. Having said that, I don't know if I can articulate why that was sweet at all...I guess it was just kind of a bonding experience for us. I love Brynn so much, and I am so grateful that I get to be her mommy. Those horrible days, she only cried a couple of times. I'm sure some of it could be attributed to her being too sick to cry, but I really believe that one of her spiritual gifts is patience. That's something that Marty and I have seen again and again. I can't wait to discover what other gifts she possesses - hopefully next time she won't have to be sick for me to do so. :)

3 comments:

Jana said...

Poooor Brynnn!!!!!!!!!!! AND POOOORR Emily!! But I'm glad you could bond...

Admin said...

This post was so sweet. Really, I get it. Especially with our recent adoption I am longing for those bonding moments because they have not been forthcoming... could Sophiya come by and play tomorrow & share Brynn's drink or something? Okay, I know, I know, that is sooo terrible. But I don't know what I'll do if this attachment thing takes much longer because I am sooo getting tired of babysitting someone elses kid. Okay, Yeah, I better stop now because this is getting a little too personal. I love you & thank you for sharing. :)

Worthen World said...

I get that. WARNING THIS MAY MAKE SQEEMISH PEOPLE SICK:
I remember one time when Riley had Diahrea for 7 day and I had to collect a specemin for the lab. There is something about doing something so base that you would never do for any human being except your own child that bonds you to them. Seriously I would never do that for another human being as you would never endure being thrown up on by another human being. I told Riley that this is something that only a mother could or would do.