Sunday, April 6, 2008

Highlights

First of all, I totally sustain President Monson with my whole heart! I miss our old prophet, but I love our new one!

Obviously these are paraphrased because the text won't be available until Thursday, but...

Ronald A. Rasband: Personal life experiences are building blocks for our faith

I loved Cheryl Lant talking about traditions. It made me really think about what family traditions I would like us to instill. I remember she asked us to reflect on some of ours and how they have positively affected our family. What are some of yours?

Didn't you just love Elder Wirthlin talking about how he, as a SEVEN year old, rebuked his friends when they were bullying someone else? I hope I can raise my kids to have that much courage - their going to need it in this world!

I loved Elder Oaks's whole talk. Acquiring a testimony is not passive, but is a process of action...

Loved Gerald Lund's whole talk, too. I had never thought about the connections between personal revelation and the heart in that way. This is one I can't wait to get the transcript of so I can study it slower.

I loved Elder Parry's recipe for Eternal Life. Can't you just see that making a great FHE?

Sheldon F. Child: Tithing is the best investment you will ever make.

Elder Bednar: They are the full-time missionaries, but we are the full-time finders.

Dennis B. Neuenschwander: The stories are not about the crowds, but the individuals in the crowd. People like you and me.

Ok, this is going a lot longer than I intended it too, but where do I even start on Elder Ballard's talk to the new mothers? He really put in perspective for me how short a time it will actually be for me to have my kids with me at home. Now more than ever I feel like I want to make the most of it. I loved his Q and A session, and came to an interesting conclusion during it. Marty went upstairs during the time that Elder Ballard was telling the husbands how they could better help and support their wives, so he missed all of that. At first I was thinking to myself, "Hurry, Marty - I want you to hear this!" But then as I listened I realized that everything he said, Marty was already trying SO hard to do. He is so good to me and I am SOOOOOOOOO lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive husband. It is time for me to start asking myself how I can help and support him.

Conference sure is a different experience with a baby. I know I missed a lot, but that I also spent less time than I probably should have with Brynn. She was a trooper. I...kind of wish I would have realized, uh, how much...er...easier conference was without a baby before I had one. :)

I also realize twice a year how much much much much BETTER I need to be doing in so many areas! I will be very busy for the next six months!

What were your favorite talks/quotes/moments/anything!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I think it was Elder Nelson that mentioned: "Salvation is a personal matter and exaltation is a family matter." I had never understood it that way before. Conference is an incredible time to learn because even though I have been born and raised in the church and we have repetitive topics there is always something new to learn. It just is amazing.

Jana said...

Oh my gosh, I had pretty much the same thing happen during Elder Ballard's talk, and was planning on blogging it to--Jeff was busy helping Emma with something so I could watch the talk, and I almost thought, he needs to pay attention! But actually he already does it all! What precious husbands. And I really like your comment about "your session". That's really really awesome.

Lindsay said...

Yes, I too LOVED Elder Ballard's talk. It was so timely for me! I feel like life has been so busy lately, that I haven't enjoyed my children as much as I should and I have felt that I am running on empty, so it was nice to have a reminder that we need to take time for ourselves :) I am sure I will be refering to it lots in the future!

Gretchen said...

I also had kids for the first time watching conference. It was definitely a challenge but also a Big learning experience! I love to the about the solder and how he new he would not die. (Eternal life) I can't wait to read the Talks when they come available!