Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thankful Thursday

(Not to be confused with Thanksgiving)
(Or Wacky Wednesday)
(Or Taco Tuesday)
Ha ha, I'm...so...funny...sigh.

This is something that Marty and I have been doing since general conference, and since it's been cool for us, I just thought I'd share. Elder Bednar said this in October:

"The most meaningful and spiritual prayers I have experienced contained many expressions of thanks and few, if any, requests....Let me recommend that periodically you and I offer a prayer in which we only give thanks and express gratitude. Ask for nothing; simply let our souls rejoice and strive to communicate appreciation with all the energy of our hearts."
http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-14,00.html

So every Thursday during our couple prayer we try to give a prayer exclusively for thanks and not asking for blessings we need. Sometimes it's been kind of funny (and also sad) to see how hard it is to not slip up and ask for something. I really look forward to our special Thursday prayer together.

Anyway, I just thought this would be a nice way for the "Thanksgiving spirit" to continue on through the holidays, or I guess for as long as you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea!

Jana said...

That's a great idea...Jeff used it in his Thanksgiving seminary lesson. I know he's done it and I've thought about it, but I simply have too many demands to waste my time being grateful...
;)
Just kidding, I actually keep forgetting that I need to do this. I've done it before and it really is refreshing and quite amazing!
Oh, and thanks for saying that Emma's intonation on the violin is good--I have no way of knowing if she's progressing fast or slow or whatever so that's great to hear. Also, to reiterate, there are performances at the temple every night, and you could go on a date there and leave Brynn here. Or we could go on a double date there...or go as a family night activity....or whatever. Just saying.

David & Jessica said...

That is a great idea, Dave and I are going to have to try that!