Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer 2012

Well, I'm playing a little catch-up here like I always do in the summer.  Our summer started off in May with swim lessons.  Brynn improved so quickly, I was so impressed and proud of her. Bryce is still young and was mostly interested in playing in the water.  He was doing great for a while and then we took him to a friend's pool a few times and really pushed him and he really pushed right back. :)





Shame on me.  Shame, shame, shame.  We went on our usual big vacation to Utah.  I took one picture of Brynn helping me out with Gabe at a pit stop, and my camera died.  I never charged it again so this is all I have of our big vacation this year!  Shame!

 The fourth of July was SO great this year.  We had a VERY unusual cool-down in Arizona that day and we were actually cooler than Utah.  Usually we have a tradition of going to Carl's Jr. and getting a really big burger because we feel sorry for ourselves that it's too hot to BBQ (or go to parades, or hike, or pretty much anything outside).  Not this year!  It was cloudy and so pleasant, so we BBQ'd and played at the park.
(Notice the kiss on the cheek from Brynn - you'll see it again later.)





"Take a picture of me making a heart with my hands!"

Throwing snappers.


Raise your hand if you're from my generation and remember listening to Safety Kids and Take Your Hat Off When the Flag Goes By!  It was so fun to hand that down to my kids - Brynn was so into it and was acting so patriotic all day singing about "I love America."  And since then Bryce has been singing "George Washington Was a Very Good Man," and it is soooo cute.  "Doooooorge WASS-ington was a very good man!!!  A VERY GOOD MAN, INDEED!!!"
 Our fireworks show was pretty tame, but still fun.
 We also spent a weekend in Heber, AZ at the Ostvig Family Reunion.  I live for these reunions.  They only happen every three years, but they are so special.  It is Marty's mom's side of the family, and since I was never able to know her personally, I feel like this is the closest thing to it.  The Ostvigs are the absolute most amazing, spiritual, warmest family.  I feel like just rubbing shoulders with them is such an edifying experience and they all make me feel so loved and special even though they've only met me a couple of times.  They all tell stories about Marty's mom and cry the whole way through them.  I can't wait for the next one.
 Here is Uncle Buddy with Bryce and Scotty getting ready for the hula-hoop relay at the highly anticipated Ostvig Family Olympics.  These reunions are held all over the country and we just got lucky this year to have it in Arizona since very few Ostvigs actually live here.  We were also lucky to host family before and after!  Aunt Marion and Uncle Grant flew in from Saudi Arabia and spent a night at our house.  We were also able to watch our niece and nephew from Ohio since Marty's sister is expecting twins and couldn't make it out here.  We also got to have them and Marty's dad for a few days after the reunion and it was wonderful.

Brynn got a medal and when I congratulated her on it she gave it to me without any hesitation.  Angel.

 Here's the kiss on the cheek again.
 The water guns were a hit.
 The hay ride.
 That's right, another kiss on the cheek.  I swear I could raise this girl over and over and over.
So there is a chunk of our summer.  And now I will end.   Because if I tried to post every detail of every week I'd never post again.  My apologies to all of the memories I didn't get to.

1 comment:

AmbertheGreat said...

I love all the pictures and updates, it looks like you had a great summer, jake and I need to come visit again.