Thursday, August 23, 2012

small school update

 Brynn is still loving kindergarten.  I don't really worry about her like I did at first.  Numbers were low, so they actually dissolved her class and put her into another.  We asked how she was doing and if she had any friends going with her and her teacher told us she wasn't worried at all about Brynn.  She said Brynn had a lot of confidence and that she was very social and outgoing.  That sounds more like the Brynn I know.

Here is Bryce on D-D-Duck day.  I know that whole point of a water table is to keep kids cooler while they play outside, but sadly it just wasn't enough.  The kid didn't want to go out into the blazing inferno and I didn't have it in me to even try to persuade him, so....here it is (good mom award, bad house-keeper award).


What's with the fireman hat and sword, you ask?  Meh, he's three.  I'm sure it makes perfect sense in Little Boy World.

He lined up all the ducks after we read Make Way for Ducklings.  So cute.

Hm, to post or not to post.....  To post.  Bryce has rocked my "home-preschooling is so easy and fun!" world.  He loves it.  He asks me every morning if it's time for mommy school.  But he's a stubborn and independent pupil.  I pick up a pencil to show him how to hold it and before I can get a word out he gets this jealous look on his face and snatches it out of my hands saying, "NO!!! I CAN DO IT, I can do it! Icandoit, Icandoit, Icandoit."  Then I tell him to put the bug stickers on the B page and he says, "No, the bugs don't want to be on the paper, they want to live on my shirt because they are my pets."  Then I tell him we are going to cut around the cowboy and glue it on the cardstock and he says, "No, I'm going to cut off the cowboy's head."  I've gotten used to adjusting my parenting style between my VERY different first and second born, and at first I figured it would be the same thing at preschool.  "Oh, I'll just give him more choices, and try to roll with the ideas he comes up with to avoid power struggles and enable his independence, bla bla bla."  Then I suddenly realized, "WAIT!  There are things kids are supposed to be LEARNING in preschool, such as FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS."  And then after I stopped being so flexible, all heck broke loose.  So our special Mommy-Bryce time preschool is a work in progress.  He is so smart and picks up on things so easily - when HE decides he wants to learn.  It's just like when he was potty-trained, which basically happened in one day because HE decided he wanted to get this toilet thing down and be done with diapers.  So far, he loves learning about letters and simple math concepts, but he has no interest in the "project" part of preschool, so he can't hold scissors or color, (among other things) and I feel like we don't have a lot finished projects to show for all of our preschool time.  I'm just trying to remind myself that the biggest reason for Mommy's special three year old preschool is the one on one time we spend together that year before I send him off to a real preschool and I shouldn't worry too much about having him reading and writing novels by the end of the semester.


Also, did you know that Fantasy Football season has started?  I did.  Heh heh heh.


No comments: