Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gabe at 5 months

I know what you are thinking - I just posted 10 of the exact same pictures on here.  But since I'm Gabe's mom, I know each smile is just a little bit different, and since they are SO hard to catch on camera and I miraculously got so many of them in a one-minute period, well I'm going to post them all. :)  I'm that kind of mom.  

Gabe is still by far my most ticklish baby.  It's just too easy.  And oooooh, that giggle.....

Gabe is also my least social baby.  I'm still trying to figure him out.  He is very calm and quiet.  He is my first baby who has ever cried to be put down.  But he does love to be held, too.  He loves being snuggled and mauled, but it's really hard to get him to interact with me.  I have to remind myself that he is only five months old, and that I don't need to get offended if he doesn't want to make eye contact with me (which is an understatement - it would be more accurate to say he avoids it at all costs sometimes).  Then when the two of us really do connect it seems like such an intimate moment with my sweet baby, I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

I'm a little worried about him being a serious mama's boy.  Already I've had two recent experiences where I've handed him off and he started crying.  Maybe he was just hungry...? (probably not)

He does not stay put.  He is a pro roller.  I've seen him roll back and forth plenty, but for some reason he only decides to end up on the other side of the room (in the middle of a pile of paper dolls, for example), when I'm not looking.

He loves music.  Whenever I start singing he joins in and squeals as high-pitched as possible.  I've had a few times where I've been rocking him, and when he's almost asleep I'll start singing absent-mindedly.  I have to remind myself not to do it because he'll perk right up and listen rather than get tired.  He's very good when I need to practice piano or organ.  I've had to play a few pretty tough pieces in a row for various things and he will actually sit there on my lap for quite a long time while I practice.  Same goes for piano lessons.  He just really seems to love being around music.

He's a pretty good eater. No real issues there.  He was pretty high up in the charts at his 2 month appointment, and then dropped quite a lot by his 4 month.  Not exactly sure what that's about, but he's happy.  He's starting to get the hang of his rice cereal, but it's a very messy ordeal of course.

I don't quite know what to expect from him from night to night.  He'll have a long string of nights where he sleeps strait through for 10 or 12 hours, and then a couple nights where he'll wake up once to eat.  I'd kind of like to just let him cry it out and keep him in his good habits, but because his weight dropped I'm worried that he really is hungry and I don't have the heart.  Still working this one out.

He is amazing at church.  In five months, I've only once had to stand up at the back to rock him.  I've taken him out when it's time to eat or if he needs a diaper change, but that's it.

His brother and sister are still crazy about him.  And it's funny that Brynn is still the one to watch around him.  At this point, I just can't imagine Bryce doing anything wrong with him.  I'm still in total shock at just how intuitive and extremely gentle he is with the baby.  Brynn on the other hand...still learning.   She thinks he is her toy.  If she gets really bored, get the baby to safety.  She'll do anything to get a reaction out of him.  Kids are so unpredictable, you know?  You just think you get to know them and then they suprise you.

All in all, Sweet Baby Gabe is pure joy.  It is SOOO unpleasant to get babies here, but so very very very VERY worth it. 


*Note to self: re-read that last sentence in a couple years or so.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Oh Sweet Chill Baby Gabe. Your snuggles and grunts and smiles melt our hearts. You are such a joy to be around. We love you.