Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Buddy, now you are three




Bud-Bud (he used to call me Mom-Mom).  We've been on quite the journey together, haven't we?  Monumental ups and downs.  And because of what we've been through together, I don't see us ever losing this intense bond we've created in just three (VERY) short years.  I can't wait to see where life takes you, my stong-willed, determined, gentle, nuggly, loyal, demanding, red-personality son.  Actually, I CAN wait. A veryveryvery long time.  Enough of that...

Bryce and I have pretty much been joined at the hip the last three years.  It's funny because he's not exactly a mama's boy.  He's very social and loves having baby-sitters or going off to play with friends.  I think he mostly just doesn't like to be alone.  And since I'm always home, he's become like another appendage.  At some points in his little life, that was a trial.  At others, it was bliss.  I can't believe how much he has grown and changed in this last year.  I didn't quite know what to expect of him.  Now I feel guilty whenever I bring up Bryce 1.0, because I feel like that little guy is long gone.  He is still intense, so we still have our moments (like if he doesn't get the right color of fork it could leave him a crumbling emotional mess).  But we have learned to work through that.  And probably no one would believe this unless they had seen it.  Thank you Pavlov, I am totally on the behaviorist train.  Bryce could face-plant on the pavement and be bleeding in multiple places, but if we count to five he will immediately stop.  I mean, the SECOND the word five is out of our mouth, he is done crying.  If we tell him it's time to leave the park and he starts crying, we get to five and that's the end of that tantrum.  It's the craziest thing.  It's not a threat, it's not like if we get to six he gets punished or something.  I think it started as a go-ahead-and-cry-for-a-minute-sweety type of thing, and it has just evolved into a totally conditioned response.  Anyway, sorry, I know that was long, I just HAVE to remember this about Brycer!

And there I go again, an entire paragraph devoted to over-coming his mood swings when he totally doesn't deserve for me to mention them in the first place.  He has come so far and is SUCH a good little boy now.  So no more mention of his past history on this blog, got it Johnson?

Let's see, what else about Bryce?

He is very articulate.  Most everyone has been able to totally understand him for quite some time.  We get more comments on his adorable HIGH-pitched voice than anything else.

He is a little ball of energy.  He still takes naps, long ones actually, and they are much needed considering the tornado that he is.  BUT, he is surprisingly gentle.  I've never had to worry about him breaking toys, hurting other kids, etc.  He does, however, know exactly how to push his sister's buttons.  I think Bryce is both Brynn's best friend and one of her biggest trials.  She's is learning lots of patience.  For instance, we are trying to teach him to play, not to administrate.  His idea of playing with others goes something like this: "Brynn, say....!  Now Mommy, you say...!  NO, you don't say THAT, you say....!!!"  So then Brynn tells him she doesn't want to play with him and he gets bored and tortures her.  And then she has a melt-down.  This is a daily occurance.

He is a loving, loving, loving boy.  He loves everyone, hugs everyone.  Oh, how interesting, right now he is sticking his feet in a big tupperware container full of lentils....just a second....

Well, now that this picture is on here, it's really hard to see.  But right there on his shoulder is one of my favorite places on his cute little body - his shoulder dimple!!!  He's had his shoulder dimples since he was born and I'm going to be so sad when he grows out of them.  Are they typical?  Because Brynn and Gabe don't have them.


Anyway, there is so much more I could say about my little buddy, but if I don't stop here I'll probably never get this thing posted.  So, Buddy...I LOOOOOVE you!!!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Bryce, you are such fun. Playing swords and CRUSH makes us laugh and you bring out the best playful sides of us. We love you.