Thursday, March 29, 2012

Gabe's Blessing

We blessed Gabe on Sunday, March 25th.  It was a beautiful, simple blessing, and a beautiful, simple day.  I wish I could have had more of my family there, but at the same time I loved being able to focus on my baby and his blessing rather than stressing out about preparing a luncheon or anything.



His name is Gabe Martin Johnson.  We wavered back and forth between Gabe and Gabriel for a long time, but in the end decided we would just name him what we were actually going to call him, which is Gabe.  Gabriel is a family name from one of my incredible pioneer ancestors who came across the plains at the age of 8, with only his sister Harriet who was 17.  The rest of the family died along the way, but when given the choice of going back to live with some wealthy family in Alabama and continuing on the trail, they kept their mother's dying wish:  "Keep the children in the church."  We also think of the angel Gabriel, who was Noah - a courageous man who stood in perfection before the Lord.  Martin is his Daddy's name (obviously) who got it from his grandfather, Martin Ostvig.  So there are two more amazing men.

Are you prepared to live up to this name, dude? :)

Marty's dad was able to fly out early Saturday morning, which ended up being quite the fiasco for poor Neil, but I am SO glad he was able to make it!  My kids (and I!) absolutely adore him and I am so glad he was able to be a part of the circle.





 Sigh.  I love you, Marty.  Thank you for honoring your priesthood.  You are such a wonderful father.





 One very blessed, very grateful, very happy mommy.
And THANK YOU so much for the pictures, Darcine!

Oh, and to make the day extra special (and to show off for Grandpa), Gabe decided to roll from back to front and then to back again for the first time!

Want to know more about my church?

1 comment:

Melinda said...

What a cute little family you've got! I'm happy you are blogging again. I enjoy reading about all your adventures!