Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Well, shoot

The weirdest thing happened tonight. I was at Young Women's talking to a bunch of ladies and thinking how wonderful it was that I have never seen a scorpion our four years that we've lived here. Everyone else had seen plenty. Now I have joined that club. Just minutes after our long, drawn out conversation (of scorpion horror stories), I pulled into the garage and my headlights shined right on a huge scorpion. I don't know how big the scorpions in Arizona usually are, I just say it was huge because it was much bigger than my brother's pet scorpion that he found in Utah.

Marty came out and killed it with a big board, but now I am going to have nightmares all night long. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day, as I am going to buckle down and get rid of any piles of anything on any floor in our house. Any other tips? Ambien?

5 comments:

Melinda said...

That is so nasty! I would have nightmares too! Even if I see a tiny spider I freak out. I can't imagine what would happen if it was a scorpion!

Grandpa and Grandma Oldham said...

How ya doin' Em?? I think I'm going to have nightmares from just looking at that picture.

taylorfamily said...

Hey, We have tons all the time, Jason actually goes out at night around our house and kills tons of them. The sad part is, is that it's mating season so there are lots of babies and they are super tiny, I was shocked at how small. The best thing that we have done is there is a powder you can put around your house so that if they walk on it, it sufficates them within 48 hours. We also purchased black light flash lights to walk around at night (you can get them at walgreens or ace hardware). Other than that, make sure you keep all clutter and piles of clothes off the floors, even then good luck. Jason got stung in the middle of the night in bed. Oh and also, something that we have done this summer is we got this mesh stuff from lowes and put it in our vents in the ceiling so they can't drop through them, because they can get in through those on your roof too. I know, it is very discusting and really scary to think about, but this is arizona. I have lived here my whole life and never saw one until we moved into our new house last year. :( so it hasn't been fun knowing that they are everywhere. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Panopticon said...

I suggest you bottle 'em up and keep them as pets. That way they'll warn their friends to stay away. Plus, they hardly ever get out of the terrarium.... hardly ever.

I've been stung before and done some research on them... most of them are comparable to a wasp sting, so don't panic. Good luck!

Panopticon said...

This is J, by the way. The only google account I have set up is a band account, so it comes up that way.