Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bob Ross as a labor coach




Does anybody know this guy? He has a show on PBS that I used to watch on Saturday mornings called, "The Joy of Painting." He is this happy, peaceful hippy with the most soothing voice I have ever heard. Well, this morning Marty took Brynn to get our produce basket, so I flipped on this show while I was eating breakfast. I came to the conclusion that, if I didn't have such an amazing, wonderful husband, I would totally want Bob Ross as a labor coach. How can anyone be in his presence and not be calm? Today (in the soft, smooth voice) he was saying things like:

"We don't make mistakes -- we have happy accidents." And...

"We want happy paintings. Happy paintings. If you want sad things, watch the news."

And he was giving the trees little friends, and drawing happy little clouds...ah. How does one become as serene as Bob Ross? :)

Maybe I'll try to round up a couple of episodes to take with me to the hospital!

So far, my bag of hospital distractions includes:

*scriptures

*Games: Canasta, Phase 10, Sequence

*Sudoku

*A little CD player and CDs: Church music, Beethoven's Emperor Concerto, and some Dvorak, Chopin, and Debussy. Calm people. :)

*A baby magazine

Marty was so wonderful I while I was in labor last time. All two and a half days of it! Hopefully this time I won't need so many distractions for such a long time. The night before I went to the hospital to have Brynn, Marty and I watched Rocky IV. He said I couldn't go through something as intense as labor without seeing the "Eye of the Tiger" song/scene. Then when I'd get big contractions he'd start singing that song and acting like a coach or something. At first it was really cute and funny. Then I wanted to punch him. I think he got the point. Last night we You-tubed that scene and watched it again, so I am PREPARED!

I guess it's kind of late to be asking this since we go to the hospital tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m., but what do you ladies bring with you for while you're in labor?

6 comments:

Helen said...

Justin is in total agreement. He was just saying how he wishes he could have Bob Ross as his Life Coach. We love you lots.

Jana said...

I couldn't have paid attention to anything other than Jeff telling me how to breathe even if I wanted to...not enough brain power left to give anything any attention if you're not medicated!
And I heart Bob Ross. My dad likes to talk like him when he paints. "You can do anything you want, because this is your world. Maybe you have some...some happy little trees, living right here. And maybe there's a little path just going right there. It doesn't matter, because it's your world."
And HOLY COW you're having a baby!! I'm calling you when I get home!! I'm so excited to meet Brycie.

Rachel said...

Definitely take Chopin, he makes everything better. As for what to do during labor . . . we watched Planet Earth, but honestly I slept most of the time b/c I had an epidural. Just have Martin go buy you some oils and canvas and you can paint your way through labor. That would make for an interesting piece of art.

Christy said...

What? Are you getting induced? I am so confused. If that's the case and Kelly knew and didn't tell me he's in big Big BIG trouble. I think the things in your bag are great. Not so sure about Bob Ross, but to each their own. I still love you and can't wait to see and meet little Bryce.

Kachelle said...

i hope you've had your baby by now! and i hope hope hope it went super fast!!!!!!

mcranford said...

That is what is great about C-sections. Your in, your out....who needs entertainment?!!