Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My minor identity crisis

This is a very unsettling feeling. I don't even know who I am anymore! Could it be that I, Emily Brynn Oldham Johnson, actually like to COOK!!!??? I've been resisting this for some time, now. Actually, ever since college when my views on cooking were that it took lots of time to make and clean up, was expensive, and in the end only made me gain weight. I literally lived off of trail mix. But recently I had Jana e-mail me a recipe that she had made once that was so yummy, and as I looked at it I thought, "Wow, that looks hard and like a really big pain.....I can't WAIT to try it!" Now THAT was a strange feeling! What's more, on Tuesday I spent the morning at Velika's learning how to make bread. BREAD! Something I SWORE I would never do!

I really don't know what has changed. Maybe it is budgeting in both time and money for cooking, or maybe my confidence has increased a little, or maybe my maternal/domestic instincts are finally kicking into gear. Or maybe it's that I have the most appreciative and complimentary husband in the world. Or maybe it's that I realized that cooking isn't so boring when you can get creative and make things just the way you want them without mindlessly following the directions on a box. So anyone that I have ranted to about how much I hate cooking - don't listen to me! I have fought this feeling long enough....

I love to cook!

And I'm good at it!

(Just imagine Chariots of Fire playing in the background)

9 comments:

Gretchen said...

Cooking sometimes I love it sometimes I don't .

But... I love to eat food made from scratch!

Thanks for the comment on my blog its nice to know I have someone other then the normal people to talk to about things. :)

Logan & Lindy said...

You are so funny! I have ALWAYS loved to cook. So I really had to laugh. I hate clean up but seriously I love baking its my favorite! (As you can see) =0) Hey send me this yummy recipe that Jana sent you! I LOVE new recipes

AmbertheGreat said...

I have the best bread recipe that I got at a cooking class - start to finish in one hour and the bread is great!!! let me know if you want to try it out.

Jake and Jared were sick the whole trip - still are actually but Jake finally went to the doctor and Jared is going today so hopefully we can get everyone better - I am feeling better already, now I just need my boys to get some sleep at night so I can sleep :)

Unknown said...

Emily,
This cracked me up. I hate cooking too. This gives me great hope, maybe someday I could learn to like it too.

Jana said...

Wow, you are so triumphant with that music in the background! yaaaayyy for Emily!! I'm so impressed. Maybe it's that feeling you get when you're cutting things and putting them all together and you feel so smart and talented for being able to make the kitchen smell so good, and you feel like Julia CHILD!!!

Steph Revelli said...

That's funny that you mentioned the cooking thing....lately I've learned that I love to cook too, but I never thought I would! haha I love watching Rachael Ray too...she's awesome!

Steph Revelli said...

We love Micah's Bumbo...thanks for your comment :-) I would recommend it because he's learning to sit up so early! Plus, he likes being up with us and being a part of the world! :-)

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

ha ha ha
You crack me up. :] I'm still not a big fan of cooking, I'm not as creative as I'd like to be, but maybe in time that'll change.
What is this fabulous recipe your just had to conquer? :]
Maybe I can be brave about it. ha ha ha
Hey, if you're ever bored during the days or would like a picnic or to take a walk with your sweet girl, let me know. Being inside all day gets kinda boring. :]

Marty and Emily said...

So a couple of people have asked me about the recipe that made me feel so triumphant. Before you ask me for the recipe, let me tell you what it is, and THEN you can decide. :) It was eggplant lasagne. I know more people that hate eggplant than like it. I LOVE it!!!!!