Friday, April 19, 2013

38 week update

*I actually wrote this a week ago and then didn't get a picture to post with it, so now it's late.  I've done a lot on the list, and I'm dilated to a two right now, so we'll see how the next week and a half goes!



Everything is still going well, meaning baby and I are both healthy.  I am miserable and sore and can't walk more than a minute or two before my back wins that battle and I have to sit down.  But I really and truly know how lucky I am to have had so many healthy babies and pregnancies.  I had an ultrasound last Friday to check a mild case of placenta previa, but it has corrected itself.  I am so relieved to not have to worry about a c-section anymore.  I got to see really good views of her face and I felt like I could actually tell what she looks like.

I'm trying to get things ready, but it's slow going.  I see the same thing happening that happened right before I had Gabe.  I couldn't get over a nasty cold and instead of preparing freezer meals and cleaning every corner, I had to chain myself to my bed to try and get over it before going into labor.  So the baby stuff I managed to get ready, but home stuff...not so much.  And it was OK.  My mom came out and helped me, plus I realized life still goes on and I actually CAN still love on and enjoy my baby with dust on the entertainment center.  So I'm trying to remember that now and do all I can to get baby stuff ready and go easy on myself with everything else.  Walmart has a great freezer section.

We decided that Gabe just isn't ready for a toddler bed, so we are borrowing a crib from a friend for a few months and we'll just have two cribs until he is ready!  I had planned to put Baby Girl in the cradle for a month or two, but my mom reminded me that the baby might need a little better protection from Gabe.  And I started having flashbacks of two year old Brynn climbing in with the Baby Bryce and throwing toys in with (or on) him.

We are trying to prepare Gabe the best we can.  The older kids are a great help.  Marty taught them to gently stroke Gabe's cheek and say "sooooft."  And then we do it to a baby doll.   I wonder if it will actually help?  I know I've said this before, but he's just so trainable, I believe that it will.  The bad news: since I have been semi-laid up I have become awfully available to him and I can tell he is becoming all too accustomed to sitting in my lap and having my attention whenever he wants it.  I very suddenly noticed a difference in how well (or poorly, rather) he will play on his own and how he takes it when I walk out of a room and leave him by himself.  While that's never been a big problem, it is now.  So I'm having to remind myself that it's ok (even a good thing, sometimes) for me to not give him attention right when he wants it and let him cry.

Bryce is taking very seriously the upcoming responsibility of taking care of baby sister in the car since he will be sitting by her.  He has done a wonderful job taking care of Gabe the last year and a half and I think they will miss each other when Gabe goes to the back with Brynn.  It's going to be inconvenient to have Gabe back there, but with Bryce's touchy car-sickness I just don't dare move him back any farther.  Plus who knows what little things Gabe will find to put in the baby's mouth? :)  I think I've said this, but I really can't wait to see big brother Bryce in action with a newborn again.

Done:
  • Hospital bags are packed
  • Baby girl clothes (!!!) and blankets are washed and folded and are in the dresser
  • The boppy, mai thai, baby bath and other things are ready to go.  That was easy because we never had to put them in storage since everything happened so fast!
  • The diaper bag is packed (for two!)
  • Read Baby Wise (for literally the FOURTH time)
To be done:
  • Rearrange the guest bedroom for her (remember Emily - you're not giving it up forever!)
  • Set up crib and buy more crib sheets (what?  is a place for her to sleep important or something?)
  • Buy Newborn diapers.  I've been stocking up on size 1 since size N only goes up to 8 pounds and that's about what my babies are born at.  But while going through stuff I realized I didn't even have one package!  Oversight!
  • Clean and install carseat (I'll clean it now, but wait a bit to install it)
  • Still looking for the baby monitor
  • Fill my baby basket.  My "baby basket" has saved every post partum for me.  It's a big basket that I keep stocked with diapers, wipes, nursing paraphernalia, baby blankets, onesies, burp cloths, water bottles, snacks, and basically everything I ever need to take care of Baby.  Then I carry it with me to whatever area of the house I am at that day so I'm not constantly running back and forth to the nursery whenever Baby or I need something (which is constantly). 
  • Clean every nook and cranny - NOPE!
  • Prepare freezer meals - NOPE!
  • Pick a name!!! It's seriously driving me crazy!
There are a few other little last things to buy, but why does the baby department have to be at the very back of Walmart?  I honestly don't know if I can do it.  I KNOW Marty would be so happy to, but the question is, do I trust a man with this stuff? :)  The other night Marty practiced putting my hair in a pony-tail for me since in the past I've had a hard time doing it with the IV in.  It was a little thing and probably silly, but I loved it.  I love being in this thing together with him.  Oh, and of course he let me know that he has "Eye of the Tiger" all ready to go for the delivery room. 

I'm sure I'm missing lots of things, but that's what I can think of right now!

No comments: