Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pooh Party

This was something else that we did in Utah, but I wanted to devote a whole post to it. Winnie the Pooh is the first novel that Brynn and I have read together. I have been thinking a lot about patterns of learning that I want to establish with my kids and I have wanted reading to be a huge part of growing up and life in general. I've read that it's never to young to read chapter books with your kids, so I started this one with Brynn a while ago. I thought she might be bored, so I told her if she'd read the whole thing with me, we could have a Winnie the Pooh party at the end. She wasn't bored though, she loved it! She was constantly asking me to read Pooh to her, which is the cutest book in the universe by the way, and I get choked up just reading it and talking about it, but more on that later. ANYWAY, she finished while we were in Utah, which was perfect because my mom is a Librarian and has resources.



We spent the morning at her library reading small Pooh books....






and exploring!


Balloons and ghosts are the most common things Brynn draws.
The rest of the party consisted of coloring Pooh,

stamping with Pooh stamps,

Pin the tail on the donkey (Eeyore),



(which Brynn rocked at)

Pudding painting Pooh,

And going on an Expedition (major Pooh fans will know it as an Expotition) to find the North Pole. A little game we made up that ended up being so much fun!

And for lunch? Why, honey of course!



I'm so proud of my girl, this is one of her first long-term goals and was such good bonding for the two of us. She picked up on a lot of the morals in the book, too. I'd be reading and she'd say things like, "Uh-oh, they should let Kanga play with them, huh?" or "They saved Piglet from the water, that's so nice!"

4 comments:

Janelle said...

You and your mom are too cute! I have been thinking about the importance of teaching my children too. We are continually trying, but sometimes I feel all I do is just think about it and not do anything. Reading a chapter book together is a great idea.

Carrie Allen said...

I love Brynn! She is so sweet! We've read Winnie the Pooh too...but we didn't have a Pooh party. Darn it! Maybe we'll have to read it again. Ü

Jana said...

AWESOME! That's so fun and WOW that's a good mom moment for you! We'll have to read that one together! We start a lot of chapter books but haven't finished a lot of them...(well, she reads her own but we haven't finished many of the long ones together).

Ashley said...

I never made the connection between you and your mom; I guess I'm kind of slow! :) We sure love your mom at Canyon!!!