Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My first day outnumbered

Since my parents left Sunday, yesterday was my first day alone with the kids. I wanted to keep a detailed journal of what my first day alone with two kids was like so that I could always remember it. Although, maybe I'd rather forget it. No, actually it wasn't too bad, we survived. Here it is.

Sunday night: Good, the baby slept well between feedings, but was ready to greet the day bright and early at 4:30.

5:15: Still wide awake, so I decide to take a shower, since I can't figure out how to take one without Brynn torturing Bryce. Marty interrupts to tell me that Brynn is crying for Grandma and Grandpa and offers to go get her. I hustle out and get dressed so that Marty isn't late for work.

Brynn is good for quite a while and Bryce and I take it easy.

7:00 we go downstairs to get breakfast. But Bryce wants to eat first, so it's puzzle time for Brynn while we both start to get pretty hungry. While I'm feeding Bryce, Brynn climbs up on the coffee table and gets time-out...then realizes Mommy can't put her in time-out while nursing and continues to climb up while I give out empty threats.

During breakfast I find out Bryce likes his swing. It's the first time I've been able to put him in since Brynn is contained in the high chair and can't "help" push him.

The rest of the morning goes pretty smoothly, with Brynnie and I pretty close to our old routine (except scratch the housework - my poor body is still recovering).

By 9:30 I start to feel pretty ambitious, so I get everyone and everything ready to go down the block and to the park. But by the time all that work is done, I'm all tuckered out, so we settle for running through the sprinklers in the back yard instead.

More smooth time. But I can't ever for the life of me remember to drink water until I'm all settled and nursing and can't go get it.


Ahhh, Bryce is asleep. In a desperate attempt to keep Brynn stationary and out of trouble for just a few minutes, I offer a bath with her special new Cinderella soap from Grandma and Grandpa. She falls for it (Mwa ha ha)! I get my pillow and thow it down in the hallway where I can watch her. The hard floor has never been so inviting! Arg, baby screaming. Hmmm...how do I wash Brynn's hair one-handed...there are remnants of her last four meals in her hair, I really should wash it....I'm going to call Rachel and have her remind me of the baby store that sells baby slings.

Lunch-time: corn dogs and yogurt, anyone? Here is where I start counting down the minutes until Brynn's naptime (and mine). So far I have managed to not clock-watch, but now that I have given in, I think Brynn's nap will never come!

1:00 Ahh...we're all ready for a nap. Bryce is asleep in the cradle, Brynn is in her crib, my bed is so soft. Brynn plays/cries in her crib for an HOUR and a HALF and I find out that a toddler who is up at 5:00 and doesn't nap is almost as cranky as a post-partum mommy who was up all night and misses a nap. But Brynn, being too smart for her own good, showers me with kisses and all is forgiven.

4:30 The last few hours of juggling nursing Bryce and playing with Brynn have again gone well, but now I am counting down the minutes until 5:00 when Marty gets home. My body is screaming at me now, so...another movie, Brynn?

5:00 I love Relief Society!!! Dinner comes to my door from my sweet visiting teacher, and not a minute too soon.

The rest of the night is kind of a blur as my mind stops functioning and I stop journaling. My hero, Marty came home and to the rescue taking care of diapers, dishes, tantrums, and Brynn's nasty poopy panties. Although later that night a miracle happened and she went into the bathroom and pooped on the potty all on her own! Let's see, I also remember Marty doing FHE and...more and more nursing....ya, my brain really did turn off. And if you can't tell, it is now shutting off again. This is the last time I try to put down coherent thoughts after 8:00 p.m. That is until Bryce is a little older.

And that's my first day being outnumbered by kids! We survived!

Today went even smoother. The question I am left with tonight is, WHEN do you EVER get anything done between entertaining kids? Hopefully I'll keep growing into this mommy thing and figure it out.

On another note, I took Bryce to the doctor for his weight check today and he was 7lb 15 oz! So we no longer have to worry so much about his weight. It feels so good to know that all of my hard work nursing is paying off!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Emily, it's Michelle McCormack. I found your blog from Dan and Rachel's, hope you don't mind. Congratulations on baby #2! You are such a cute mommy and you are doing a great job!!!

Wilkinson Family said...

YAY! You survived!!! The switch from 1 to 2 kids is a big one but to make you feel better when you add a third it isn't as mind boggling :)
As for house work, uh, never gets done :P I usually have my most productive day on Monday (this was with 2 kiddies) getting ALL the laundry done, bathroom cleaned and floors mopped and swept....well now with 3 kiddies it is Wednesday I still only have 1/2 my laundry done and the floor....well we won't talk about it!
CONGRATS!!! he is beautiful!

Christy said...

Sounds like you're doing great. I can't imagine how tired you must be though. I'm taking good notes, because I'm going to need them. Yikes! I can't even fathom what's going to happen when this little one comes along. We love you guys!!

Kachelle said...

congrats! he is a cutie! it gets easier with 2. the baby get more durable with sibling pestering and the sibling looses interest. and you start feeling better! hopefully soon!

Cheryl and Dave said...

Emily, its just better to accept it now. You don't! You don't get much done! I figure that my kids are going to grow up so fast that I will have plenty of time for housework and such when they no longer want a story or a game of hide and seek. :) Don't try to do too much and enjoy the process as much as possible! Good luck and congratulations!