Sunday, May 3, 2009

I'm back...sort of

Bryce Allan Johnson

First few days at home...
















sleepy....















and mellow.


So far we've been really lucky with this sweet little guy. He's not much of a crier yet. Usually when he cries it's something legitimate like he's hungry or needs a diaper change or a burp. And then as soon as you take care of it he's mellow again. He is SO sleepy, too. We have to set the alarm at night to wake him up to get him to eat.
We were so lucky to be able to have my parents come out on Saturday, the 25th. My dad stayed for a few days, and my mom was able to stay until today! I don't know how I could have survived without them! The first couple of nights my mom kept Bryce with her and just brought him to me when he was hungry, which was a life-saver. And of course she worked her fingers to the bone and put up with Brynn's tantrums all day so I could have some quality time with Bryce. I love you, Mom and Dad! It absolutely kills me to think that the next time my parents see Bryce, he will no longer be a newborn, but I am counting down the days until we can visit them in a couple months.
Brynn is trying to make adjustments. Considering what a light sleeper she is, I have been surprised at how well she is doing at night. Bryce's crying still hasn't woken her up. However she is always a little too excited to have a baby brother. Whenever he is asleep she gets up in his face and laughs and laughs and then laughs harder when she startles him. And then tries to tickle his tummy and then gets sent to time-out and so on. But so far, nothing too brutal.
Sunday, April 26th
So here are the details of Sunday. We went in to be induced Sunday morning at 5 a.m. I was dilated to a 3, so we were hoping this time around would go a little faster. And it definitely did! Things were progressing and going smoothly for a couple hours until Bryce decided he didn't care much for contractions, and his heart rate was going way down. Our nurses said it was a good thing we were getting the little dude out of there that day, poor guy. He was probably pretty unhappy on Wednesday when I was having all those big contractions all night long. I love my doctor. She really has a good poker face. Being busy with, you know, labor and everything, I guess I missed a lot of the exchanges going on between the doctors and nurses, and had no idea until after he was born how close I came to a c-section. Marty caught it all, and thankfully he had a pretty good poker face, too. But they held off and before I knew it, it was time to push and he kinda just flew right out! I think this guy was READY. My doctor was teasing me later for being the only patient she's ever had who has given birth and then as soon as my mom came in the room I guess I said, "That was so easy!" But, ya know, I only had Brynn's torturous labor to compare it with, and it was not at all the same.
And so, little Bryce was born at 1:56, happy, healthy, handsome, and with a stylish little part in his hair. We just spent Sunday night at the hospital and then went home Monday evening. And we all lived happily ever after. The end.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so cool that your mom came out and did that for you. I think I need to send hints my mom's way (she helps a ton, but keeping the baby at night? That is awesome.) Anyway, congrats and we are glad everything turned out well!

Jana said...

That sounds like an excellent labor, except for the near-c-section part.
And I'm glad you have such a good little Brycie! Those are way cute pictures of him.
I think I'd be tempted to NOT wake him up and figure he'd wake up if he was really hungry!

AmbertheGreat said...

Congrats - he is really cute! I can't wait to meet him, when are you coming out this way?

Ulrich Family said...

Congrats you guys! That is so exciting. He is so cute!