Sunday, February 26, 2017

Seven Johnsons

This is something I wrote while the Littles were at preschool and then I'm sure things got crazy when they came home and I never finished it (imagine that!).  I think the plan was to say a little about each family member but I didn't get to everyone - sorry guys!

______________________________

Our Baby Girl turned 5 months old this week.  The kids were cute and sang "Happy month-day" to her.  I can honestly say that I've never had those first five months of a baby slip by so quickly.  Feeling like this is probably our last baby and being so so in love with her, I tried so hard to slow down the clock.  But when I do that it only makes me stressed so now I'm just trying to drink in all the minutes that I can with her.  The best moments are when it's time to nurse or when all the kids are down for the night.  She is a little fussy at night and gently reminds us that she needs to be held and we are just fine with that.  But it means we've been going to bed later and almost more exhausted than I've ever been. It also means that those little things I used to love to do after the kids were in bed will have to wait until this baby grows up a little more (especially considering how many loose ends in the household need to be tied up, and so many lunches to make these days!).  Most of my spare minutes during the day when she doesn't need me, and the Littles are occupied, and the Bigs are at school, go to catching up on whatever is desperate to get done.  Anyway, right now even though the mom in me is telling me to go fuss over the house, I'm feeling like I should record.

The intensity of my life right now as I'm describing it probably paints a picture of insanity and chaos, but that's not exactly how it feels.  It mostly feels draining; emotionally, spiritually, and especially physically.  But so so good, and that's the truth.  Sometimes I will have an "episode," which usually comes in the form of me locking myself in the closet to check my phone and wipe the sweat off my face (it's still so hot in AZ!) and then emerging barking orders at everyone to try and restore some structure.  Even on those days I go to bed shaking my head at how good I have it and how much I love my life and wondering if it could get any better.  I'm sitting here at the computer reading that statement over and over to make sure it's in earnest, and it is.  Life is so good.  I had no idea when I got married how happy it was going to make me to do housework while a baby kicked and cooed on a blanket in the same room.  All of this was so not on my radar.  I'm so thankful that this was Heavenly Father's will for my life and that he was patient with me while I figured it out.  I don't know what is in store for the rest of my life but I think I'm always going to look back at this season of my life with gratitude.  And maybe relief - no one can survive this phase forever!!

Marty is still principle at the ALA seminary and STILL teaching out of a church building which we can't believe.  He teaches in the gym and sets up tables and chairs everyday.  He teaches lots of classes, oversees lots of students, and a few teachers and I know he's exhausted right now, too.  But just like me he loves what he does and that makes us both happy.  The new seminary building is opening around November and he and the other teachers walk through often and take pictures as it develops.  He has been doing crossfit training since shortly after we had the baby and I'm proud of him.

BandB are at Eduprize in a new schedule which they have mixed feelings about but I think they love their teachers and classes.  They used to be home by lunchtime on their condensed schedule and now they have school from 8-3 Mon-Thurs and 8-11:45 every Friday.  I love still having a half day every week to have lunch with my parents, or at Marty's school, or head to the splash pad or come home and chill until friends get home from school and can play.  I thought there might be a lot of wasted time in the morning if they got up before me and turned on the TV right away but we have gotten into a nice little routine and I love our mornings.  Normally I'm a twice-a-week-hot-breakfast-kind-of-mom, but I've started trying to reserve cereal mornings for the weekend.

We've gotten into a nice little routine with the Littles.

_________________________________________________

And apparently that's as far as I got when I wrote this months ago.  Sorry Littles and Clara!  But if it makes you feel any better, I probably quit writing to give you my attention haha!

No comments: