Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Destroying Angel

Meet my toddler.


















She is cute as a button.  Very entertaining, with animated expressions and high energy.  As a toddler, she reminds me more everyday of Toddler Bryce.  On Bryce's more extreme toddler days I would sometimes call him a brute.  Because I just can't call a baby girl a brute, I have settled on "The Destroying Angel."

She has frequent vocal outbursts, not in the form of tantrums (although she has plenty of those, too), but more like she is just testing the abilities and limits of her vocal cords.

She learned to run the day after she learned to walk.  She has been playing me.  She's not really as afraid of people as she pretends to be, in fact she loves people and being in the middle of all the action.  She might protest when I hand her over to someone, but don't let her fool you.  She's not afraid of being without me.  I know this, because today at church she slipped out of Sunday School, ran into the chapel full of people and out the other side, down the hall, and wound up monkeying around in the gym.  I'm not even sure how she managed it considering both big doors to the chapel were closed.  I guess she's sweet-talking people into opening doors for her now?  But she did seem pretty pleased about my going up and down the aisles while a few people who had noticed her were trying to silently signal where the baby had gone.

A frequent saying in our house is, "The Destroying Angel strikes again."  For instance, when she snaps my glasses in two, or climbs onto my bathroom counters to dump my drawers, or when she tries her hand at swinging from a chandelier.  We have now been forced to push the table back into the corner with all the chairs securely behind it, if we want her to make it to her second birthday.  It's either that, or put up the baby gate and live in the loft.  Heaven help us when she figures out the barstools....



She has the funniest walk.  Sometimes when she gets in a groove, with each step she'll swing her arms way back behind her and then clap.  It kind of conjures up the image of a female PE teacher.  Here are both my April kids, always up for adventure (Gabe was attached to my leg during all of this, Brynn was reading).  They have become quite good friends.  By the way, Camille's favorite part of the kiddie pool is diving in head first.  And it doesn't matter how many times she slips off the little pool stairs that lead to the slide...she just keeps trying anyway.  Some day she WILL go down that slide on her own.


She is stubborn.  She has gone for days with no milk because she is totally unwilling to switch from bottle to sippy.  Psht.  I am not afraid of these changes, they tend to bring out my resolve and I can easily outlast my kiddos.  Except for the Destroying Angel, who has gotten her bottle back no fewer that 6 or 7 times.

She shares a room with Brynn and has constant access to princess figurines and barbie dolls.  But the only thing I seem to see her with are cars, planes and trains.  It's funny because I also had two older brothers, but I don't think I pilfered their boy toys the way Millie does.  I have seen her rock Brynn's baby doll a few times though, which is exciting because as hard as I tried I could never get Brynn interested in baby dolls.  Maybe she hasn't needed them since she's always had the real thing around!

In short, I believe she might have the type of energy that gives the "terrible two's" its name.  Except she's not two, she's 15 months.  So far, her energy has me smiling and laughing and picking her up for a squishy kiss on her chubby cheek, and going to bed exhausted.  She is so happy just to be alive and isn't really demanding other than needing to be watched.  She's pretty independent, self-entertaining, and just likes to be around all of us.  So honestly it's pretty fun, especially when it's just her and Gabe during the day and I have a little more flexibility in how much attention I can devote to her.  But I am bracing myself for the 18ish month mark.  I have a feeling we are really going to be in for it, but then I've been wrong about her before!  Remember when I thought that because she was such a momma's girl, she was going to be quiet and timid?  I was so young and naive back then... :)

















I am writing this tonight, because I am just so, so tired.  My back and my feet ache and it was a heck of a day.  The first of many more to come, I am sure, where I needed to be reminded how adorable and funny it all is.  And to take it in and enjoy the ride and continue looking forward to the giant hug I am going to get from her when Brynn brings her to me in the morning.  I love you Millie May.  Keep on keeping me on my toes.

1 comment:

Carrie Allen said...

I love your posts!! Ü