Thursday, February 17, 2011

More simple fun

My kids are always reminding me how easy it actually is to have fun with them. Like I've lost some of my yellow personality or something. Ok, my only mushy line for the post: What am I going to DO when I don't have little ones to play with all day long? Ok, I'm done.

Anyway, we rented a carpet cleaning machine from Fry's and cleaned all the carpet in our house except for our bedroom. We did most of it that night while the kids were sleeping, and when they woke up it was still pretty wet. That meant anytime we were going to spend inside had to be done in our room. I wondered how that was going to work, but I went out to the playroom, grabbed a basket of toys, dumped it out on my bed, and they played with those toys all morning long. These were toys that had been sitting around in the loft not getting played with all that much a couple days before, but maybe all they needed was a change of scenery! We all had so much fun up on that bed playing together. But eventually I had to get ready for the day, and eventually they did start to want to venture out of my room. So I went and got a box.

This box seriously bought me an hour. A box.



And by the way, we thought getting the machine from Fry's was the way to go. It was way cheaper, and it was nice to be able to go over some areas multiple times and just have more control over the whole process.

The day after that, I had to put the house back together, and I made six batches of sugar cookies for our camp fundraiser (I threw away the batches that weren't good enough - I didn't know sugar cookies were an art form). And to distract my kids that day, I dragged Brynn's mattress out to the loft and they played on the mattress all day long. A mattress.

Marty's a kid at heart. He had a lot of fun with the mattress, too. Perhaps too much fun. And as you can see, I hadn't gotten to putting the loft back together yet.


Brynn world. She was singing and her lyrics were really dramatic (can't remember what they were about now).

Then last weekend we set up the tent in our back yard as sort of a camping "rehearsal." We were trying to figure out if we could still fit our whole family in the tent, and whether or not the kids would sleep. SO MUCH FUN!!!!



The kids did great. It was pretty cold that night so Brynn sneaked up onto our bed, which was pretty crowded. So in the middle of the night, I did get up to go sleep in the house. But I could have toughed it out, I swear! That morning was going to be basically my only chance to sleep in in the month of February, so I saw the chance and took it. :)

We also blew up this little two man raft that was my family's when we were young. It had been sitting in my parents garage and we weren't sure if there were no holes or 100 holes, but it's in really good shape!

We also had a BBQ where we made s'mores (obviously). So we are all ready to go camping! We just need to find the time and place. :)

2 comments:

Jana said...

I love the simple fun stuff! Matress, that's genius. I'll have to remember that. Blake played with our vacuum for a good 20 minutes tonight. And when Jeff actually used it to vacuum, he was in HEAVEN. It was hilarious.

Carrie Allen said...

You have a perfect family. You know that right? Ü