Thursday, February 17, 2011

I never thought I'd say it, but...

I'm totally ready to start couponing. Like, the kind of couponing where you get 3 batches of the Sunday paper and organize a million coupons and spend forever figuring things out...but then get lots of stuff for free or really cheap.

I have been resisting it for a long time on the grounds that I thought I'd be couponing for a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have been buying or eating otherwise. Also that I was worried that I would spend money subscribing to newspapers and couponing websites and then not following through, so that I'd be wasting money instead of saving it. And third, I'm passive. I'm a people-pleasing, I'd-rather-die-than-put-anyone-out-or-get-dirty-looks-from-anyone type of girl. Marty, on the other hand, will go through manager after manager if he knows he's right (which he usually is) and he always gets his way! I just know that if I showed up in a grocery line, and followed all the instructions for getting 10 boxes of cereal for a dollar, and the clerk said I couldn't do it, I'd say, "Whoops, sorry." Even if I knew I had done it right. I know, how old am I?

Wanting to start this small lifestyle change comes at a weird time for me because I've been reading "Walden" and have been really into eliminating stuff and avoiding accumulating more stuff and thinking about how to live more simply with less stuff. But lately I've been feeling this tugging of the need to get more stuff, and that is in our food storage and emergency kits. I know our food storage just isn't good enough. Buying items here and there when things are on sale isn't cutting it. I keep raiding the food storage almost as fast as I can supply it. I know you aren't supposed to go in debt to get your food storage, so of course I'm not going to do that. But I want to just hurry and build it up a lot and then keep up with it, and I've heard from friends that couponing is how they were able to do that.

So that's why I'm ready. Any tips for me? Besides bringing Marty with me on my shopping sprees until I can learn to stick up for myself.... :)

3 comments:

Reeder Family said...

Ahh, it is super nerdy of me, but your post makes me excited for you. I have been "couponing" for a few years now and I realy enjoy it. I wouldn't pay for a website to tell you the deals, there are ones that do the same thing for free. I like couponing101.com and hip2save.com. Good luck

Jana said...

AAAHH! That's how I feel about couponing. I haven't done it for the same reasons as you, but also: I'm too lazy. It sounds like WAY too much thinking for me. But I have heard that pinchingyourpennies.com is a good website. I went there once and I was kind of overwhelmed. So yeah...I don't think that's something I'll ever be able to get into. But YAY for you! You're gonna be a money-saving maniac!

The Bahrs said...

I do the "file folder method" for couponing and it's SOO much easier then the clipping every coupon method. I spend about an hour a week couponing and that's the only way I could do it! I also follow sites like www.freebies2deals.com and grocerysmarts.com. I have a blog that I've kept all my deals on (it's mostly like a brag blog for myself) but you can check it out and see if there is anything that helps you. Good luck, its kind of a rush to get such great deals!! :)