Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Enough is enough



Wow, we ate a lot of candy yesterday. A lot. It was blissful. Except the heartburn. I didn't feel that guilty about it, because it was Valentine's Day, and that's what you do on Valentine's Day. We got cute Valentine's Day packages for our cute family members sent from all over the country. We loved and appreciated it, and there was some GOOD STUFF in there. Can you tell I have quite the sweet tooth?


So then after Family Home Evening I told Brynn, "What do you want for your FHE treat? We have LOTS of treats still here for you to choose from!" She thought about it and said, "Hm, I want some carrots."

Marty's and my jaw dropped. I said, "Ok, then go get some carrots." So she went to the fridge, opened the veggie drawer and started passing out carrots to everybody.


Although I didn't expect that from her, I agreed. Enough was enough, it was time to scale back the candy. In fact, it felt so good to hear her say that, that this morning I went through every cupboard and pantry and put everything sweet in garbage bags. That's what the above picture is. I threw away candy, marshmallows, even some hot chocolate (although I put a bunch of hot chocolate in food storage - I won't be that tempted anymore since our "winter" is pretty much over anyway). Even chocolate chips (I have been known to sneak them). Who knows how long this will last, but at least we don't have any candy-licious holidays coming up to tempt us.


Speaking of holidays, I'm going to try to start doing this from now on. Going ahead and having fun eating treats that day, and throwing any left-overs out the next day. There are dentists around us that trade in candy for money the day after Halloween. My mom always stuffed our Christmas stockings with nuts and exotic fruits, I think I'll start doing that. And I was thinking I'd start making having yummy berries a tradition for Valentine's Day. This year I got the kids the EVER requested "Mickey Cheese." Still working on Easter.


Just more thoughts... :)

P.S. J&H, that s'mores sucker was the best. thing. ever.

No comments: