Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Egg FHE

Last night we did our Easter Egg Family Home Evening, which we have been doing since the year we were engaged. I made it at a Young Women's activity, so THANK YOU diligent YW leaders! We have loved doing it, so I thought I would share.
If it looks like a 13-year-old decorated it, that's because one did. :)

Inside each one of a dozen plastic eggs there is a scripture written out on a little scroll of paper and some type of object to go along with it.


1. Matt 26:39 Sacrament cup
2. Matt 26: 14-15 Three dimes
3. Matt 27: 1-2 Piece of twine or rope
4: Matt 27: 24-26 Chunk of hand soap
5. Matt 27: 28-30 Piece of red velvet (ours is just felt)
6. Matt 27: 31-32 Nail
7. Matt 27:35-36 Pair of dice
8. Matt 27: 50-51 & 54 Small rocks, or potting soil
9: Matt 27: 57-60 Piece of white cloth
10: Matt 27: 60 & 65-66 A stone
11: Mark 16:1 & Matt 28: 2-5 Herbs (we have a bay leaf and cloves)
12: Matt 28:6 Empty ("He is not here, He is risen")

It was really fun to do this activity with Brynn last night. Of course she didn't understand everything, but I think the objects helped her pick up on a lot of things. Immediately when she opened the egg with rocks in it she said, "Oh no, did they throw rocks at him, too? Poor Jesus."

Anyway, it would probably be quite a bit of work to get everything together (you can't just go buy Sacrament cups, can you?) but for us it been a wonderful tradition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, I love reading your blog. You're always so uplifting and make me want to be a better person!

I'm going to make this. Maybe I'll have to save my cup one of these sundays . . .

Jana said...

I really wanted to do that last night but have never put it together! I just ended up putting different primary songs in eggs for us to find and sing, and a couple scriptures. It was pretty good.

David & Jessica said...

this is such a great idea!! I think I am going to make this too. Thanks for sharing all of your great ideas, I hope I can be like you when I "grow up" :)!

Jess

Carrie Allen said...

Emily ~ I found your blog!! Yay!! I love your cute family picture up at the top. My mom does this family home evening with us every year. Ü