Monday, November 26, 2007

In Memory of Bertha Johnson, 1908-2007



This turned out to be a bit of a sad holiday for us. Marty's Grandma Johnson passed away on Monday night. We are all very relieved for her, as she has been really suffering for the last month, but we all wanted to see her live to be 100. The last couple of years that I have known her, she has absolutely amazed me. She was SO witty. She had the body of a 99 year old, but the mind of a brilliant woman in her prime (even if she did tend to repeat things!). She taught in Relief Society until she was 88 and was always having long and deep gospel discussions with us about the block of scripture that she had read that day. She is such an example of enduring to the end. She NEVER missed a BYU game, and was one of the few people that I've met who could out-shine Marty as a Cougar fan. In fact, her funeral was held on Saturday (right in the middle of the BYU-UT) game and I think I heard about 15 different people say that she was probably missing her own funeral to go to the game instead. My first experience with her was her thoughtful commentary of a jazz game and hearing, "LeBron James looks like a demon!" Yes, she was very sassy. I am grateful to have known her, and grateful that Brynn was able to meet her. She will be greatly missed.




Marty loves this picture because he loves to see Brynn's soft, newborn hands placed on top of Grandma Johnson's wrinkled...and more experienced hands. They are two sets of Heavenly hands and two very spiritual beings.



She served as an LDS missionary in the North Central States Mission, and she served in the United States Coast Guard during World War II, earning the commission of lieutenant, as well as commendations for her diligence. I think she was one of the very first women in the Coast Guard.

She graduated from Spanish Fork High School as Valedictorian and from Brigham Young University with honors. In 1928, she started her 30 year career as a Nebo School District teacher at Goshen Elementary. Decades later she was honored as one of Springville's most outstanding teachers. She was also honored as one of Nebo School District's top three teachers one year.

But as I sat in the funeral and looked over her amazing posterity, I realized that that is the most important thing she has done on this earth. The most important and eternal title she ever held was that of a mother.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness...."

2 Timothy 4: 7-8

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing women. I'm so sorry for your loss. If there is anything you need let me know. In these cases, it makes me so thankful that we have the gospel and we will be with our loved ones for eternity.

Gretchen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. if there is anything we can do don't hesitate to call.

on another note thank you guys so much for delivering the food for me on monday!

Michele Tyler said...

What an incredible example! I didn't even know her but I wish I did. Don't forget how thin the veil is.

You guys are amazing and if you ever need anything please let me know. Gotta love those scouts. *wink* P.S. I'm an official blogger now woo hoo! Stop by and visit us.

AmbertheGreat said...

I got goose bumps just reading about your grandma...it's sad to let them go but wonderful to know we will see them again!

Unknown said...

That was very moving. She seems so amazing- I wish I could have known her! I am soo sorry for your loss, but happy for her that she finished her mission here honorably! I have to also mention that my grandmas name is also Bertha- I thought it was neat because it is not a very common name :)