Sunday, May 18, 2014

my UT birthday


SO.  I turned thirty last month!  Back at the beginning of the year, I told Marty that what I would really like for my birthday was to fly to UT for a weekend to see Les Miserables at the Hale.  I've been going to that Hale theater since I was in...middle school?  And they have never performed Les Mis.  I have...not an obsession...just a very deep and abiding love for Les Mis (but don't ask my family, they might call it an obsession).  I have been singing those songs since I was pretty little, playing them on the piano, I've read the book multiple times but the first time was in eighth grade, you can quiz me on the Broadway performers (there have been many amazing Jean Valjeans, but Michael Ball will always be the one and only Marius, just sayin).  Anyway, it turned out that plane tickets were $49 each way on Allegiant and the closing show just happened to coincide with my birthday and with Good Friday (which Marty can take off), so it all seemed perfect.

We went back and forth about actually doing it, and then one morning in February Marty woke me up and 5:30 in the morning to tell me that he bought the plane tickets and that I was going!!  And then we realized he had accidentally bought the plane tickets for WEDNESDAY instead of Friday!  So...happy birthday to me, an accidentally longer trip, HA!  I was really looking forward to it.  It's been a big couple of years for us.  The back to back pregnancies and post-partems were intense for me, not to mention all that naturally comes with four little ones!  I truly love it so much...but I just needed a little break from the house. :)

When the big week came, I was a bit of a basket case.  For the two days I'd be gone and Marty would be working I had about 9 different people baby-sitting different kids at different times (I ended up bringing Camille with me).  And I just knew that things were going to happen, people would have to cancel, kids would get sick, and I was so stressed out about that.  I rarely leave them overnight, and then it's usually just with my parents.  And yep, most of the crazy things that could happen did!  But it really all worked out in the end, and I was so grateful for everyone's help.  I am surrounded by the kindest people, and I feel so blessed to be where I am.

Back in February when we bought the plane tickets, we had canceled the last couple of trips to UT and it had been quite a while since we had been up there.  So even though we knew I'd be going in April, we still decided we wanted Marty and the kids to be able to get up there, too.  So we planned a trip up for Spring Break in March.  We saw all the family, and we got to see my grandma's new place at her assisted living facility.  She seemed more frail, but still doing quite well.  But in just the few weeks between March and April she took a very bad turn.  So while I was there in April I was able to visit her one last time, and she passed away the day before I went back to Arizona.  I'm so grateful that Marty supported me in going up there and that the timing worked out the way it did.  I was able to hold her hand and sing to her.  I wasn't getting much response, but as I left I gave her a hug and she turned to kiss me on the cheek.  I'm so glad I was there, and I hope I was able to lift my dad's spirits a little.  I know Millie did!

My grandma passed away early Saturday morning, and the play was that night.  My parents insisted that my mom and I still go, and I think we are all glad we did it.  But I'll admit, some parts were very heavy and emotional.  All in all, it was just so beautifully done.  "To love another person is to see the face of God."

And here is the picture I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to take.  I mean, the play hadn't started yet soooo...no harm done?


Back at home, Marty was just being Super-dad and pulling off little things like two different Easter egg hunts, homework, piano, diapers, movie theaters, libraries, and what else?  Oh yeah, Easter!!

I actually flew in on Easter morning, so I was able to go to church with them and everything.  But Marty got the pleasure of watching the kids see the Easter Bunny's handiwork, which set the bar pretty high for next year.  Hope that bunny is happy. 


The kids thought it was hilarious that the Easter Bunny played with all of their toys and left behind the candy to prove it.



Cousin egg hunt.








One of the nights I was gone, Marty set up the tent as sort of a trial run to see if Gabe would be ready to go to the father-son campout.
























The neighborhood egg hunt.






Thank you, Marty!

No comments: