Friday, October 29, 2010

Which one is your kid...

...in the primary program? Mine was the sunbeam (probably the youngest sunbeam - Dec 22), front and center, who got a line or two of singing in between her different dance routines. Twirling mostly, as it was very crowded up there on the stand. Mine was also the one leading the music, jumping up way before the music leader gave the signal to stand (and then jumping up again really dramatically when she did see the signal), waving like crazy at Mom and Dad, and then a complete deer-in-the-headlights look, when she was trying to figure out what it was we were down there trying to silently communicate to her NOT TO DO. Well, thank goodness no nose-picking. OH WAIT! Except that MINUTE-LONG pick during the very last song, accompanied by yet another confused look (what are you trying to tell me, Mom?) while picking.

Even still, our very first primary program was such a sweet experience. She has the best primary teachers and leaders, thanks to all of you who teach her. Now we know to work on the whole DON'T dance during primary thing.

And speaking of Brynn in church, I think I had one of my proudest moments as a mom last month. My little Brynnie-Pie bore her testimony all by herself! She's been asking us for months and months when it can be her turn to bear her testimony. We wanted her to wait until she could go up by herself, but didn't think she was ready, so we kept telling her "no." And I felt AWFUL telling her no and denying her the experience! Especially since I know she can do it. We bear our testimonies to each other faithfully every Sunday and Monday, and she comes up with the most sincere and simple things to testify of. But she is only 3, so sometimes it ends up something like this: And I know that I can get married in the temple, and I can marry Daniel. And Moses. No, Joshua - I'll marry Joshua." So we told her to pick three things she wanted to bear her testimony about, and this is what SHE said: "I know that President Monson is a prophet, and I know that Jesus loves me, and I know that when I'm sick, I can get a blessing." It was so sweet!!!! So we drew a picture of each of those things on a note card and let her look at it the week before so she wouldn't get too sidetracked.

She did so great and I was so proud! She was a little confused about where exactly to go once she got up to the stand because there was a line, but she found Brother Stanley (a counselor in our Bishopric who she LOVES) and sat with him until it was her turn. Once she got to the microphone, all you could see was the very top of her head, but she said every word as clear as day, and wasn't shy or silly at all. And I'm pretty sure I might have teared up a little. :)

I love every phase my kids have been in, and I love watching Brynn grow and mature. I also love the funny and entertaining moments (like the twirling on the stand) - even if they are slightly embarrassing!

2 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma Oldham said...

It's hard to describe that feeling of being embarrassed and proud at the same moment isn't it Em? I do have to say however: "You SO deserved that!!!" That little girl gets to look and act more like her mother every day!! (That's a good thing.)

Jana said...

Oh my goodness, the twirling and the nose picking...I love it!!!
And it's funny, the younger they are, the less embarrassed you get when they get sidetracked in their testimony. It's when they're seven and bearing their testimony about how hard it is to wait to get their ears pierced that it's a little difficult...