Sunday, August 17, 2008

When, where, WHAT Marty!?!

So, tonight Marty and I were playing boggle (which I always win) and I was reading Marty my list of words. The conversation went something like this...

Em: Tune, when,...
Marty: Wait, what was that last word?
Em: When.
Marty: What? What is a wen?
Em: When! When, when, when! WHEN did you go to the store? WHEN!!!
Marty: (Erupting in laughter) Is that really what you SAY?!

So, all my life I have been pronouncing the word when, like this: Wen.
Marty has been pronouncing it like this: Hwen.
We battled back and forth for a while and then came and looked it up on the internet. The pronounciation guide said, "Hwen, wen." So we are both ok, right? Then the conversation went something like this:

Em: Ya, but no one REALLY says it like that, only english teachers' kids say that.
Marty: My dad (the english teacher) would be appalled. Besides, you're from Spanish Fork, so you don't have a say in how to pronounce words.
Em: Hey! Did you miss the day in english class wen they taught silent letters?
Marty: Did you miss the day in english class hwen they taught english?

So please, just let one of us win. Hwat do you guys actually say?

7 comments:

Marty and Emily said...

Marty already put in his vote! Now mine doesn't count...

Jana said...

LOL, this is the funniest post ever...I just have to say that my dad is the only person I know who might say hwen, hwich, clearly, is backwards because that's not how it's spelled. My dad also pronounces theater "thee-ay-ter". So, yeah....Emily wins...

Steph Revelli said...

From the poll, it looks like Emily wins. Tell Marty no one says 'hwen', that's ridiculous! If people talk like that, it just sounds like they are trying too hard to be better than everyone else...haha!

Logan & Lindy said...

Ok you need to watch the move "Hot Rod" You would get some laughs! He pronounces every thing when the "h" in front of it!!!

Kristin Coppee said...

I love that you and your husband have fights over the pronunciation of words. Makes me feel better about having fights over whether or not the weather man is right or wrong. I wonder what would happen if the four of us got together - maybe we could get a four-way going....it's a thought...think it over.

Unknown said...

This is way cute. I seriously think Emily wins this one though. I've never heard it the other way. I'm glad you guys can laugh about the little things. It's great! How is the house and you guys, haven't seen you lately? hope all is well.

Rachel said...

I don't know who actually says "Hwen" besides Neil and his kids. Neil also uses "shall" correctly. I just can't do that. I will never conform to proper English I guess. You and I should go down to the "crik" sometimes and discuss this here language problem.