Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life just couldn't be sweeter




I know I'm going to feel like a big nerd after posting this, but I'm in a good mood, and I just kind of wanted to share. Nothing big. It started out with a good morning. Marty and I got up at 5:30 for scripture study, and it seems to me like life is just so much better when we put in the time and effort to do that. It's like it is a lot harder for me to get bogged down, upset, frustrated, etc. during the day.

Then on his way to work, Marty called to let me know that it was raining (remember, in AZ, that's a big deal)! Hard! So I opened up all the blinds, and opened up my new sliding glass door (!!!!!, by the way) so that I could see/hear/smell the rain. I was feeling so motivated and had so much done by the time that Brynn woke up, that I was completely ready to spend every second of the morning playing with her.

I brought Brynn downstairs and of course we headed strait for the back yard (!!!!!, again). We danced in the rain, blew bubbles and ate plums on the covered patio. I just couldn't take my eyes off of that little girl. In the humidity, her curls become so tight and perfect, and then add that million dollar smile....sigh. Little Angel.

Throughout the rest of the day, it was basically more of the same. Nothing huge, just lots of wonderful little things. Like, this afternoon Brynn helped me make chocolate chip cookies (she cracked the eggs, stirred the mixture, taste tested way too many chocolate chips, and gave me lots of messy, chocolate-chippy kisses). Marty came home and read me excerpts out of a really funny book while I finished making dinner. Then right as it was time to eat, it began to rain again (!!!!!) so we hauled Brynn's high chair to the patio and we all sat out there to eat. Then my sweet husband gave me some time off from Brynn so that I could blog a little. All in all, a very happy day.

Obviously not all of my days seem this great. For example, just earlier this week we all came down with something and sometimes I feel like the only thing that is more draining than taking care of a sick, fussy baby is doing it when you, yourself are sick and fussy. And a lot of times Brynn's messes are not cute, they are downright infuriating. Sometimes the rain is not so fun (like when you have to drive in it and your car almost gets washed away - long story for later). Sometimes I don't want Marty to entertain me while I cook, I just want HIM to cook the dang dinner.

It made me start to wonder how many days have had today's incredible potential, but for some reason or another (ingratitude, selfishness, laziness...what is it exactly?) I haven't taken advantage of it and just lumped that day together with so many other ho-hum days that, upon the day's end I only wanted to thank Heavenly Father that night that it's finally over, instead of pouring out my heart in gratitude for every second I get to live in this world that I love and live this life that I love.

I feel a little confused as to why the feeling of this day was different to me, but I really want to figure it out so that I can have more of them. Did this make any sense? Have any of you ever felt like that? If so, do you have any suggestions for me? I truly am going to strive to make more of my days special and worth it, even if nothing earth-shatteringly great happens to me that day.

8 comments:

mcranford said...

Yes!! I am so excited you found me. I have decided that I like this "blogging" thing. I get to see (and talk to) all my friends that are so far away. Your Alaska trip looked way fun, I have always wanted to ge there. Maybe someday.....

Jana said...

Wow, what a great mom day for you! I'm so glad you feel more energized and happy from 5:30 scripture study...I'm thinking I would be grouchy and more irritable after getting up that early. Just saying.
I have really not had days like this lately so I'm pretty much jealous of you. It sounds perfectly heavenly! I think it's called living in the moment, but I'm not very good at it most of the time...

AmbertheGreat said...

I love those days! Everything goes smoothly and it's just a great day. i need to focus on not letting the little things get in the way. I hope you are feeling good. I put some pictures up - thanks for letting us stay with you it was SOOOO much fun; I wish we could do it more often.

I will try and email the pictures, especially the ones I didn't post

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a great day! I know what you mean--I wish everyday was as enjoyable as I wanted them. For me, I think the hard days are the ones when I am not living in the moment enough. I'm worried about other things and my mind is elsewhere and I view my kids as obstacles that get in the way of me getting things done...does that make sense? Anyways, it's hard to keep the right attitude sometimes! but thanks for inspiring me!

David & Jessica said...

oh how I miss AZ rain! I need to go down there one of these days, and when I do I need to come and say hi to you :). It seems to me that I had more of those "life couldn't be sweeter days" on my mission... Having the Lord a part of your day is a huge part! I also made a goal on my mission to see the hand of god each and everyday. God doesn't touch our lives through huge lighting bults... it's usually very very small, and they are all around us each and every day. The Tender Mercey's of the lord! :) Thanks for the blog, it reminded me that I need to star doing that again! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

I loved your day too!!
Thanks for sharing! : ]
Maybe it was the fact that you took time to get up and share that time together learning and helping your testimony to grow.
Maybe it was that you kicked into gear and got things done in the morning BEFORE Brynn woke so you didin't feel stressed or overwhelmed in the afternoon. [something I need to strive to do better at.]
Maybe it was that you took notice of the little things and appreciated them 10x greater! So they were really awesome BIG things! : ]
We should do games sometime.
Hope everything is just great in the new home!
Miss you guys!

Koi said...

It seems like lately I've had more grumpy days than good ones. Then I realized it's because I wasn't exercising, so I started doing that again EVERYDAY and Jarred literally thinks I'm a different person. Exercise is my rain I guess.

Ashley said...

You are so cute! I love reading your posts about how happy you are and how much fun you have with your little girl, it makes me want to be a better mommy!