Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

I just read a good book by Mitch Albom (Tuesday's with Morrie author) called "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and thought I would post a quick quote from the book.

"Sacrifice," the captain said. "You made one. I made one. We all make them. But you were angry over yours. You kept thinking about what you lost.
"You didn't get it. Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to. Little sacrifices. Big sacrifices. A mother works so her son can go to school. A daughter moves home to take care of her sick father.
"A man goes to war...."
H stopped for a mement and looked off into the cloudy gray sky.
"Robozzo didn't die for nothing, you know. He sacrificed for his country, and his family knew it, and his kid brother went on to be a good soldier and a great man because he was inspired by it.
"I didn't die for nothing, either. That night, we might have all driven over that land mine. Then the four of us would have been gone."
Eddie shook his head. "But you..." He lowered his voice. "You lost your life."
The captain smacked his tongue on his teeth. "That's the thing. Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else."

I recommend the book. Mitch Albom isn't trying to be "the authority" on heaven. He just presents some really nice concepts in the book, and I respect him for putting his "wish" (as he puts it) of what heaven is like out there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, We need to get together this week. Today is a bit busy, but I'll try to call you. If not call me. I miss freinds.

Unknown said...

I love this post, it was something I needed to hear.